DHCP/VMware question?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by John Neerdael, Feb 7, 2009.

1. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

I should have made myself clearer, what I'm looking for is how I should setup ISA 2006 to allow 1 server to grab automatic updates from the net but nothing else. No idea how to do that yet in ISA :)

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have not used ISA before, but would have thought the following:

1. Install WSUS on a Server.
    2. Configure WSUS Server to go to MS to get Updates
    3. Configure ISA Server to allow communication from WSUS Server over Port 80.
    4. Apply GPO for Clients.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. John Neerdael

Yeh but the thing is, our ISA server is setup VERY scrict and as much as possible conforming actual best practices for isa and well we have for instance a rule for AD authorization instead of allowing all traffic to the domain controllers etc. It would be a shame to open up port 80 from the domain controllers to *everything* on the big bad internet.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Configure the WSUS server to access the tinternet for updates. Point the clients at the WSUS server via a GPO.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. John Neerdael

DONE!!!! :D

http://www.speedweb.be/bundelserver2k3.docx

It's completely in dutch just so you know, on the last page there are thank you words also directed to the users of certforums and specifically to craigie & sparky ;)

7. Sparky

Weird, the file doesnt open up. Just opens up a bunch of .xml files and graphics. :blink

The graphics look good though :biggrin

Edit: When I click on the link it prompts to download as a .zip file but if I manually change it to .docx it works ok.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Sparky

Cool, let us know how it goes mate. You should get top marks! :biggrin

9. John Neerdael

Odd behaviours :) I'll post tomorrow how it went, but I'm sure it will go great. I've recently upgraded my pc to 6gb ram so now I can run the entire project on 1 pc which is great and makes working on labs at home tons more fun.

10. John Neerdael

We aced it. Teacher gave us 96%, the best he has ever given a group. Everything I wanted to accomplish was working properly and it was much more complex then was expected of us.

The comment of my teacher (He is also working as a it tech in a Belgium it company) I'm the most proud of is that if he would have a desire for a similar network and we would present this to him that he would hire us :biggrin

Anyway thanks again for the help guys.

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done John!

Couldn't read any of the text, but it looks well laid out and with strucuture to your report and with some nice piccies!

I know I gave you a hard time about some of the stuff, but it look like it turned out for the best.

Congratulations on such a high mark.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Great report mate. Even if it is in Dutch I understood most of it.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. John Neerdael

Sorry to fall back on this, but since I finished my previous lab I've now started learning basic Windows Server 2008 stuff. I forgot to set a static ip for one of my servers (have dhcp enabled) and when I went ahead to check it's ip to see if it got a IP from my router or from my VMWare Windows Server 2008 DHCP server I noticed the following:

[​IMG]

This is clear proof that what my teacher stated is in fact INCORRECT. However it makes me even more puzzled now about how it should be and shouldnt be, I havent set this static ip my server 08 box handed it out.