DHCP Server

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No, thank you Harry for showing me how to use Google properly at the Christmas *do*.

Zim - I am going to invest in some of the recommended training material by Trainsignal for the rest of my Microsoft certs as and when required.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I did? I *must* have been drunk.... :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok so i got my two scopes and now my client is getting an IP from subnet A 192.168.1.0 so i want it to get it from Subnet B 192.168.2.0 so how do you define this user class? i got the 2 subnets running on the dhcp server... read some links from ms but they not exactly useful :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im calling it a day for this! Its new years eve and im studying! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ill be back in a few days on this! 8)

thanks guys for the help!

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You are on the right track with the classID, you set this from the command line on the client PC after configuring the class on the DHCP server.

Also you need to configure the NIC with an I.P from each subnet so both subnets can talk to each other (I think!) 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you mind running me through the process sparks please?

7. Sparky

Ok, I assume you have both subnets configured as part of a superscope on the DHCP server?

On the NIC that is going to hand out the I.Ps configure it have an I.P from each subnet in the advanced properties of the NIC.

In the DHCP server configure a class in relation to the subnet 192.168.2.0, call the class secondsubnet or something like that.

On the client PC you need to set the class ID, check out the link below.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...8a2e-4df1-9db7-3bba496bb12e1033.mspx?mfr=true

Repair the LAN connection on the client PC or run the ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew at the command line. This *should* work! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks! The only part im not too sure on is configuring the class for each subnet on the DHCP Server. Thats the part im struggling with at the moment

9. Sparky

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i define the class and it just wants some binary number - no mention of IP subnet :rolleyes:

11. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Hi.
    Ive read through this thread, Im not sure if Im missing the point here, but if you have set up two separate subnets correctly, you will need either a dhcp server or a forwarder resident within each one. The forwarder obviously needing to be set up properly itself with the address of the actual dhcp server assigning the addresses.

Then if you have communication between the two subnets, the dhcp server should automatically assign appropriate addresses to the appropriate subnet.

This is dependent on the subnets being set up properly, and you either having the forwarder or a bootp router working properly on the segment.

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  12. Sparky

He does have a DHCP server setup but it is configured with two subnets. No need for a forwarder (relay agent) as the client is not behind a device (router) which would block a broadcast for an I.P address from the client.

Just need to figure out a way to make sure some of the clients pick up an I.P address from a particular subnet 8)

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sparks if you could give me some steps to follow on my server it would be a big help! 8)

14. Sparky

Zim,

I cant get on my server just now to check if it is possible to pick a subnet with a classID, I know you do get loads of options though!

this link might help just now though...

http://www.serverroomwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Episode_34_Techie_Topics

15. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Sorry, Im not being very helpful, but I am now very interested(and feeling a little bit thick:( ).

I thought you used user classes to set up slightly different dhcp configs within subnets, not to define a subnet itself. And then you need to set each client to specify that it wants to use that user class each time it renews. Thats the only way Ive used them, but I havent been doing this for all that long!

When a client sends a dhcp request packet out, the forwarder moves it on to the dhcp server. In doing so it lets the dhcp server know which subnet the request comes from and the dhcp server then responds with an appropriate address, and any other details configured. The essential bit is that the dhcp server needs to know which subnet the request came from.

To do this nice and tidy each subnet has to be routed, else your only options are mac reservations or user classes, both of which are not particularly scaleable (Unless you are also a scripting guru!), and I cant see microsoft trying to teach you these methods first up.

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
  16. Sparky

Im not 100% sure if this can be done with a classID without trying it on my own server first.

Both scopes are defined within the superscope so the original question is how to make sure the client gets an IP address from a particular scope.

Also I think if the server had two NICs (one for each scope\subnet) then this might help.

Again I need to try with my own server to check that this can be done. 8)

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

why is everyone saying it cant be done when if you look in the pages from the 291 book its done! :biggrin im just trying to implement the solution! I mean if its not done whats the point of a DHCP Server serving address to more than one subnet??

18. Sparky

LOL, yeah, I remember reading it in the book but I didn’t get around to testing it on my server. I set up the classID but only had one scope so I haven’t configured the DHCP in the context of your question. :biggrin

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'm with Lugosi on this.

If you have two or more nics in your DHCP server, configured with different subnets id's and you set up RRAS to route packets between the two. you can then set up a scope for each subnet and it will work fine. I have done this in my lab many times.

If the subnet is remote to the DHCP server, ie it is not configured on one of the DHCP servers NICs you then need a relay agent to forward the lease request on behalf of the client.

The DHCP does need to know which subnet the client is on and hence it needs to be able to receive the discover packet (broadcast of the client).

IMHO Class IDs and reservations are not designed for this purpose.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Hi, just borrowed a copy of the book and had a look at the lab you're trying.
    The diagram shows that you need a router for this lab. The router is essentially what controls your subnets.
    Remember, something needs to put the source subnet in the dhcp discover packet otherwise th dhcp server will just assume its a local request(from its own subnet) and issue an address appropriate to that, which is what you're getting.

Look at each diagram, each one shows you the router with the gateway address you need to use for it.
    The labs ought to work no problem as soon as you sort that out. :blink