DHCP fault tolerance

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Sparky, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just been reading the ‘Microsoft’ way to set up fault tolerance for DHCP.

Basically the recommendation is to apply the 80/20 rule to split the LAN scope between 2 servers which is fair enough. However MS also recommend that 20% of the range is on a server on a remote subnet.

This is what I don’t get, I will need a compatible router to forward the DHCP broadcasts and if I don’t then I will have to install a DHCP relay agent. So why not just put the 20% on the server instead of having a relay agent? Also surely putting 20% of the IPs on a remote subnet is also a potential problem as it may be at the other end of a VPN tunnel (which may be down) or behind a router which is not functioning correctly.

Thoughts? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sparks,

A guy i met in India was talking about this, and he said 80/20 works, remote agent doesn't!

"remember it does when you are in the exam though"!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, 80/20 is fair enough but if the 20 is on another subnet then there are other factors to consider such as the router forwarding the DHCP requests which you cant assume. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs