devil's advocate Brain Dumps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Aug 3, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'd rather belong to a community where twenty people post regularly, and contribute help and advice to those just passing through who genuinely want to work in this field, love IT and perhaps share common interests within and outside it, than 'belong' to a 'community' of fifteen hundred muppets all posting ten times in txtspk asking where to find ways to cheat their way into my industry.

In short - I couldn't give a toss how many people post here - so long as the people that do either add value to the community or post legitimate requests for help or advice Its them that make it worth my while to stick around - not you, or anybody else who thinks there is a legitimate reason to cheat on certification exams.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Truth is, if 4 letters means the difference between the dole and 18 grand a year, a lot of people would get there the easiest way they could. It's wrong yes, but hardly unjustifiable. We know never to use them, we all work in IT, we are all Qualified. We all know and understand. But your average joe will have a justifiable reason to use a braindump, it means a job.

Granted they will be found out and swiftly dismissed, but thats past the point.

So people lynching others on here because they asked a question is uncalled for really, especally the grammar and language nazis. Come on guys, we are better than that.

In school, we all cheated a bit, you're sat next to your best mate in maths, you're messing around, and having the answers means the difference between home work for 3 hours that night, or 3 hours playing out, you grab your best mates book, jot down his answers and your on your way.

BDs are completely wrong, we all agree on that, but some people can justify it, it's all in personal opinions what is a valid reason and what isn't. If they want to cheat, let them, but lets not start ripping people to peices because they can't speak very good English or simply said something we all disagree on.

Plus, I think TPs are doing slightly more damage to the IT industry than people who braindump, most ****ing people have no idea what a braindump is. You're average bob is going to pay 5k to some teacher to rush him to an MCSE in a single year, he isn;t going to go "oooh, I need to the 70-291 one" and then google for a braindump.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

We'd rather not have you. There are plenty of places that support braindumping. Why dont you crawl away and join them.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You obviously don't read or understand the posts that have been posted for years on this forum. Certifications without experience are worthless. Certifications *with* experience can mean the difference between getting a job and not getting a job.

Certifications aren't completely without value. But they aren't the instant ticket to a good job that they used to be.

Besides, just because braindumpers cheat doesn't mean that we should just abandon certifications. If they've got them and we don't, they'll be even MORE likely to get those jobs. To the contrary, we should fight against braindumping whenever we can so that there IS some method of validating our knowledge and experience!!

I'm quite sure most everyone has been tempted. It's the easy way out, and people tend to want to take the easy path. It's human nature. But not everyone has acted on those temptations.

So what's the point of your question? What do you hope to prove by showing that temptation exists in the world???

Yes, the true light of CF HAS shown it's head: the members here have given you truth.

I know exactly why. Some people don't want to be told the truth; they just want people to agree with them. :rolleyes: From your responses, it sounds like you're one of them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think this has got out of hand. We are all entitled to our opinions and its mine that Ence is asking questions rather than expressing his own views if we go back to the original post. As we all know emotions run high on this subject and when I saw the thread, I thought, "oh no not the B* word", as its very clear how the patrons of this fine forum feel about the subject.

No one go anywhere, its just a gentleman's disagreement/misunderstanding IMO. Feel free to correct me, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So? I don't want to work with them, don't want to talk to them, don't want to know them. On top of that, I don't want them posing 'questions' to a community I hang out with that legitimise cheating - in any shape or form. Or by your rationale, is it OK to let someone cheat their way through medical school because they 'need a job'?

If only that were true. I've worked with dozens of numpties who got their certs through braindumping and couldn't find their own arse with both hands. It would be nice to think that they all got sacked a week after starting their jobs never to work in the IT industry again - unfortunately that isn't the case. Most workplaces now don't have time to check people out properly. They don't have managers who understand the IT infrastructure enough to know when someone is bull****ting them, and most places (especially the larger ones) have plenty of ways a useless tool can get lost in the system for months before anything goes wrong (usually because their infrastructure has been set up properly by someone who DOES know what they're doing). On top of this, because most places don't have the first clue about their infrastrcuture, its easy for a 'qualified Microsoft Expert' to come in and day they need consultancy because of a 'strange problem' they've 'never encountered before'.

I can't see people being lynched because of their grammar or poor English - if English isn't their first language. If English IS your first language, then damn straight you should be able to speak and write it properly. Just because they were sat at the back flicking rubber bands at the back of people's heads during English at school doesn't mean they should get a free ride now. IT is a discipline that, above all other skills, requires the ability to communicate effectively to your peers.

What I HAVE seen is a number of people pull posters up on using textspeak. This, I believe, is against the rules of the forum (though I could be wrong on that) and, in any case, has been 'banned by popular opinion' on here.

Um - No. How dare you speak for everyone on the forum like that! I never cheated at school. Never saw the point of it. People who cheated at school were lazy morons (see what i did there? I generalised - just like you did)

Yes. Braindumps are wrong. Unfortunately, we can't all agree on it - if we did, there wouldn't be a need to post responses to people attempting to justify the use of them.

That last statement just beggars belief, and doesn't merit a response.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. BosonMichael

It's mine that Ence is trolling. It's fine that he asked the original question. The problem comes when he says stuff like this:

Call it what you will, JK. But it's pretty clear what Ence is all about.

EDIT: Actually, I take back what I said about it being fine that he asked the original question. He knew he was trolling from the beginning, when he typed in his original post:

...knowing full well what would happen.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. JK2447

I couldn't agree more. Your ability to communicate is often a skill that sorts the men from the boys in the industry but to pull others up because their English isn't as accurate as it should be IMO is wrong. I liken it to me ripping into someone who is having difficulty gaining their MCSA, just because I already have one. You wouldn't do that so I don't see why people should go OTT on others English. Some people are dyslexic, my friend is yet he's a smart man IMO so I'm of the opinion, if a person asks for help and you don't understand what they are asking, you should ask them to clarify rather than knock their confidence re: grammar.

Sorry id I've gone off on one there but my friend has had a few people do this to him over the years and I don't agree with it. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Correct, sir.

Jim - I refer you back to Fergal's original post :p Link

As for Zeb... well, what can I say? I couldn't have put it better myself.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. JK2447

As always I do respect your opinions. Should Ence of known better? Absolutely. Is he a BD for certain, only he knows. I'd like to hope not after taking to him about his studies over last few weeks. . .

11. BosonMichael

Some of us DON'T know never to use them, some of us DON'T work in IT, and not all of us are qualified.

And your average joe might THINK he has a justifiable reason to use a braindump... but there is no justifiable reason. He's cheating himself, he's cheating other viable candidates, and he's cheating his employer.

Unfortunately, they aren't always. When they are, it's rarely swift.

No, "we" all didn't cheat a bit. Sounds like you did, though!

Even if cheating is widespread, does that "make it right"? Does playing out instead of studying justify cheating? :rolleyes:

Some people can rationalize it, but they cannot justify it.

You might "let them" cheat. I won't stand for it.

Please. Most people don't use training providers. Why do you think TPs go to such extreme measures to lure people in with promises of large salaries and job guarantees?

Most people who use braindumps don't even know they're using braindumps. It's up to forums like these (as well as CertGuard) to educate them on what they are and why we shouldn't use them.

12. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter if he is or isn't a dumper, really. What matters is his attitude on the forum. When people disagree with him regarding something that Microsoft, CompTIA, and Cisco all condemn, he throws a pout and blames us for new users not posting.

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nope, I want to be a grammar and language nazi.

Nazi has got a capital 'N' by the way.

:biggrin

I don't think anyone has actually been lynched as such yet - but starting a thread on this forum 'what do you guys think of braindumps' is a bit like going to South Africa and asking people if they like picking cotton.

He's just asking for trouble.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. JK2447

Well here I have no retort. You are as usual quite correct. New users have their own minds and contribute as little or much as they see fit. I think this is one Ence will want to retract. . .

15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Lets take this back and look at the original question, a lots been said over the course of this thread and a lot of it in anger so I think its probably worth reminding ourselves where we began.

Microsoft, Cisco and CompTIA state clearly that braindumps are wrong, under any circumstances. Thats what should stop you, thats the answer to the second question as well.

I understand why people may feel they have a rational, justifiable reason for what they do but the limit is absolute because it can't be any other way. End of.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Going off on a slight tangent here, did anyone have mates who always wanted to copy your work at school / college? And were you ever tempted to just give them BS answers, in the hope they'd learn the hard way? I.e. When was the battle of hastings - 1983.

Certifications: HND Computing
  17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nah, and if they did, they didn't let on. I went to the kind of school where cheating was really discouraged, mainly because the teachers were of a kind of standard where we didn't need to :) and, more importantly, the students wanted to learn.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Well, that has made my morning already.

:D

Reminds me on that scene in die hard where he has that sandwich board on himself.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Well, I can not argue anymore after what has been said. perhaps there is only one side to this.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  20. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I laughed when I saw this one.

Yes, back in secondary school, during a mock GCSE exam, two of my friends where sat together, one had clearly studied and one had not due to illness (or bone idleness), so bone idle decides he will copy swots answers, not just copy the answers and paraphrase them, but he copied them to the letter by his own admission. When the results came back we were amazed to discover bone idle had received higher marks than swotty. Figure that one out!!!!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree