devil's advocate Brain Dumps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Aug 3, 2009.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't read my mind, you'll need therapy for life :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Studying the exact questions isn't the same as "studying the subject matter". Using braindumps is no different than stealing a professor's exam from his/her desk and studying that. It's cheating, no matter how much you want to rationalize the behavior.

Besides, it all boils down to this: if you truly understand the subject matter, you don't need braindumps. If you feel you MUST use braindumps, then you're not ready to hold the credential.

All that said, it doesn't matter what we think. Microsoft and CompTIA and Cisco have all stated that using braindumps is cheating and can get you decertified for life. Do you need another reason???

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've heard this argument so many times over the years and have become bored with giving the same answer. Its usually been chucked at me by people from the subcontinent who have come to England because they thought it was easy to lie and cheat their way into an IT career. "But we don't understand the questions because English isn't our native language!" they cry, ad infinitum.

Absolute, utter bollocks. If you can read through a list of God-knows how many questions and remember what the answer to them is from a selection of different answers, then you speak enough English to pass the exam. Even if they were somehow able just to pick out answers and memorise them based on the way the words looked - how does that make it right? To all intents and purposes, if that were the case, that person is illiterate (in the language of the country they would be working in) - do you think I'd be able to go and work in the Czech Republic in user support without speaking any Czech? Of course not - its a preposterous suggestion.

I've also heard a similar argument from people who speak English perfectly well, but think that, because MS questions are long winded and designed to trick you into thinking you know the answer when you've just skim-read the question, that is somehow 'wrong' or 'unfair' of Microsoft. Again - absolute bollocks. Why should an exam be simple? Life in the IT world certainly isn't! How many times have you ever had a straightforward question in IT? 90% of the time, the work you'll be doing will require you to think in a circuitous manner.

Its wrong - end of.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

IT Manager: Hey, how do I do this on this Cisco router?
    Braindumper: I don't know
    IT Manager: ...but you're a CCNA?
    Braindumper: Yeah, but I don't know...
    IT Manager: Oh, ok.

Then you've got two options. Either
    a) The IT Manager will have no respect for the CCNA certification in future, which has a negative effect on everybody.
    b) The IT Manager will realise you've used braindumps and... well... I'll leave that to your imagination, but it won't be a pretty ending.

That, and cheating = lying.

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

*Edited*

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well said that man :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

So not only the braindumper who doesnt know the answer, the IT manager too?!! did he use BD in his early days?
    I dont see BD as failure but as moral failure, just because not every BD user is so dump not to learn what he needed to, while some successful (not failling) users see them as enhacement tool. also unfair to other people who never used them(like me:)) who worked hard to achieve their creds.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pardon?

Is that a for or against?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

The reason I don't use brain dumps is because I am studying the certifications to learn something that will help me in my current and future jobs and brain dumps dont help you so why use them.

A certiifcation on your CV you got through brain dumping may help you get a job but it will also help you lose it once they reslise you dont know nothing and when the next person comes along who did study prroperly for the cert they will probably be judged unfairly due to the person before.

Can we stop brain dumping no, can I carry on learning and studying properly yes :D

Certifications: A few.
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There's not much I could add to what everyone else has said... All I know is that's it's wrong, don't do it... When I was in school studying IT, I had one class... it was basic troubleshooting class, all hands on and then the teacher would make up questions and based on the troubleshooting we would answer those questions. At the end of the class, do you know what he did? he had braindumps in his briefcase to give to students who wanted to pass the certification. I remember even then not knowing what a brain dump was because I was new to the field. Needless to say that I never took the brain dump questions and thus it took me 6 months of study to pass the A+ (basic level cert). However in my class we had students pass the certs in literally 2 weeks to 1 month with no experience under their belt... I find that kind of hard to believe unless you have the experience and hands on... I bet they used the brain dumps... I mean they were like a certification machine...

Last I heard they've been looking for a job for over a year now... so how can an MCSA who claims to be experienced can't even get a desktop support job? simple didn't put in the effort and claims to be proficient with their cert...

I've been doing desktop support for 2 years straight before I could start doing server stuff... and I am not even qualified as an MCSA yet based on my experience...

So in general... no braindumps whether you study or not don't benefit you in any way. In fact they hinder your performance because you get acustomed to looking for answers rather then understanding the answer.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

The IT Manager doesn't have to be expert in every single area. You couldn't realistically expect someone, for example, to be very skilled in Cisco Networking, Hardware Maintenance, Active Directory, Linux and Software Development, so it's the job of the IT Manager to hire people with a specific skillset and delegate!

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Braindumps is a big no... Would you trust a surgeon who cheated his/her way thru their exams to operate on you? Would you get into a taxi if you knew the driver got someone else to pass their driving licence for them? I know I wouldn't...

So why should it be with the IT Profession?

That's true, I'm an IT manager and I will admit that I don't want to learn Cisco. With everything else I have to learn, know, and keep up to date with, why should I pile more onto my plate?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Tottaly against them, I just wanted to comment on the idea that not every BD user is an idiot who will be caught in the future. Relying on BD only to get a cert is a NO NO for me, but if someone having difficulties in some areas and used them as help BUT NOT as substitute of studying and hard work, and proved to be competent in the field, I would think twice before saying ah no dont use them, imo.
    I did use Ucertify,transcender and MS review suite for my exams, these materials offer answers to questions similar or maybe the same as the one you might get during the exams. but they are not considered BD.

Just to clear my position, I am NOT defending BD and I didnt use them, but I dont want to be always looking at things from a negative(bad) side.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There IS no 'non-negative' side to using Braindumps. You cannot - 100% CANNOT - find a single legitimate reason why ANYONE would use them. Don't expend brain energy trying to do so.

Braindumps = Fail.

Fullstop.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Again, if you're having difficulties in some areas, and you feel you MUST use braindumps "as help", as you put it, then you're not ready to hold the cert! It's as simple as that!

If you know the material, and you're truly qualified to hold the certification, then you'll pass. If you don't, and you're not, then you won't. Braindumps only enable you to cheat. Period. There is not a single legitimate justification for using them. Not a learning disorder, not a lack of time, not a lack of real-world equipment, not a lack of experience, not an inability to read in a certain language, not a lack of money to retake, not a fear of embarrassment if you fail, not the threat of losing your job, not anything. There is no legit reason to use braindumps.

But there's no "positive side" to braindumps. They enable people to get certified before they're ready to hold the credential... and much faster than someone who doesn't cheat to get certified. So when these braindumper muppets put those certifications on their CVs, they'll get jobs before you do, because you're still studying legitimately. Then when the employer finds out that they're not qualified to hold the certification because they cheated their way through it, the employer thinks, "Wow, this guy is certified, and he can't do this job? That certification must be easy... and not a good indicator of whether a tech can do this job!" Thus, the certification is devalued, as employer after employer comes to the same conclusion.

Don't believe me? Take a look around. Ask employers whether certifications are a good gauge of someone's ability to do a job. The value and prestige of certifications used to be MUCH higher before braindumps became so prevalent.

Braindumps hurt the certification training industry, as it costs nothing to create "cheat sheets" and sell them, whereas it costs legit providers thousands of dollars to create legitimate study tools.
    Braindumps hurt the braindumper by enabling them to certify before they are ready, putting their career on a shaky foundation.
    Braindumps hurt the employers who hire unqualified people.
    And braindumps hurt YOU, as they devalue the certifications that you work so hard to achieve.

Where's the "positive side"? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

What the point of studding and taking exam as in more case employers must think A+ MCSA or CCNA are to a penny.

Shame that most of you missed the point of question, Have you not been tempted post #1

17. Qs

The original question wasn't "are you tempted", it was "are they (braindumps) wrong" so no point has been missed. If you don't want to see the light then that's entirely your decision but realise that you do risk decertification, which has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You've got your location down as being 'Earth'.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

O the true light of CF has shown it head, And you wonder why not many people stay here and post

Don't read them :rolleyes:

20. Qs

Presumably because they'd rather be off memorizing braindumps, and not posting on a site which actively discourages their use.

Obviously you're the exception to the rule.

It's very clear from your posts that you wouldn't think twice about using braindumps to 'assist' in your exams, and that's precisely why myself (and others) are less than impressed.

Out of sheer curiosity, what did you expect this thread to achieve?

...Actually scratch that, as advised, I'm not reading your posts, nor feeding a troll.

Qs