Detecting unused ports on a network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Feb 19, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks Harry I am going to google SNMP right now!!

Harry - does your expertise cover Virtual LAN??:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hmm, it’s a difficult task. If you do get this done then you will need to document each port change when it is done. Documentation is only useful when it is up to date. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

No worries mate:thumbleft at least you had a go.

I think it was SGUK who said "The only dumb question is the one not asked" on post 105808

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the advice mate, if I can't get SNMP or NetMRI to work I will give that ago!:biggrin

5. Sparky

This might help....

http://www.neon.com/LSwin.shtml

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes and no, the problem is ..and I blame HR for this.. is that people leave or move offices. IT should be informed when they leave. They should fill in an exit form when they leave but they don't therefore the PC and port stay live and connected to the network. The other problem we have is users move the computers without the knowledge of the IT Dept.

The best one I have come across is a user leaving and returning to work after a 6 month break either on maternity leave or just leaving all together and then 1 year later getting their old job back and expecting their AD account to be live and all their emails and files stored by IT Dept. :p:biggrin It really cracks me up that IT are expected to keep peoples files after they have left because one day they just might come back.:rolleyes:

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks BM and thanks for the link:thumbleft

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

9. Sparky

I had a similar issue a few years back. To get around it when a user left the company I would disable the account, hide it from the GAL and dump it in an OU called former employees or something like that. That was logged under ‘user exit 1’

After 6 months the account was put through ‘user exit 2’, basically the mailbox was exported to .pst and it was dumped on a NAS box with the user profile.

There is always someone waaaaaaaaay down the line that needs access to emails from a user who has left the company. Not sure why though. :biggrin

10. Sparky

First impressions look good, I haven’t priced it though so you might want to download a trial and see if it could be a worthwhile purchase.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's something I come across everyday - the pst file mainly old archive emails that users insist in keeping. We have a limit of 500 emails in the inbox on each AD profile after that the user has to archive to local disk or delete them. but they never do:(

12. Sparky

That aint much, think I have around 4,000 emails in my inbox just now without including sub folders. Are you guys still on Exchange 2k?

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

UCM

Currently sat in our data centre bored out of my skull running SmartStart on a server, so thought I'd chime back in :biggrin

Looks like you've got a NAC box sitting on your network (Mirage, or a Cisco box or maybe even (whisper it quietly) my favourite - Sourcefire!) What most of these boxes do is quite cunning - basically it amounts to ARP spoofing or 'tarpitting'. They claim all the available 'spare' addresses in a configured range then sit there on a mirror port listening to the traffic across the network. Any device that tries to communicate outside a set boundary of permissible activity (ping sweeping would DEFINITELY fall into this category) is designated as a rogue device and remedial action is taken. This is usually in the form of tricking the machine into thinking that the NAC box is actually its default gateway - very ingenious.

It is basically a hack - arp spoofing the DG is an old trick used by hackers to grep traffic from all the communicating hosts on a network segment (I've done it myself on occasion using Ettercap or Cain & Abel) but there is a way round it. You need to speak to the security admin and tell him what you're doing, and why you need to do it. If he's worth his salt then chances are he will already have the information you're looking for anyway! I know the first thing I always do starting anywhere new is get the network diagrams up to scratch - it may well be that you just have to ask him nicely and he'll give you all the info you need - or, at the very least, create a temporary exception for your workstation on the NAC box (usually under a setting called 'never deceive' or 'do not deceive') which will allow you to ping sweep during a specific window

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Ahh, yes, I see your problem. In that case sandblasting would be a solution... I mean those who alter the network without informing the IT team.

... Surely you have backups. Couldn't just restore the situation from a year back? That way at least one person would be happy:biggrin
    Serious, the only problem you really have is diciplin. No network tool is going to help you with that. Lots of luck with that and in the meantime, good luck with the network.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP