Dell to Hire 5,000 People in India

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Jan 30, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Source: Yahoo

curry here i come! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Bad news for job hunters in the UK & Ireland, naughty Dell!

i've heard the cost of employing a call centre operative in India is up to 5 times less per annum than in the West.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

There is a current intake for helpdesk support in the Glasgow call centre which I had got mysellf a backdoor into (know the technical trainer !!) but I've put that on hold due to a management training program I'm starting at work soon. Quite glad now, as when I read this I began to wonder about the long term security of the Glasgow office, although from experience, off-shored call centre support generally goes down like a lead balloon and causes loss of customer base. Just my 2€.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think the helpfulness goes down by about the same amount. I've had to call Dell support a few times now and it's just about impossible to get anyone that knows how to speak English, French or German. That's why I'm now changing to HP.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Word!

At least when you call HP you get someone who can almost speak english! :twisted:

For those who don't know the HP call centre is in Dublin.

6. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Didn't Dell also have/still have a call centre in Ireland?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Couldn't agree with that more. Some bright spark had an idea of ooh I know lets setup a call centre in India to support people in the UK because they speak English in India it will be fine. Unfortunatly they usually can't understand a bloody word I'm saying because they don't understand regional accents so it takes 5 times as long to sort a simple problem out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Theyr're not 'creating' 5000 jobs,not at all!!!NO!they're 're-educating' the T-Mobile and Lloyds TSB call centre gits who all took turns to phone me on a Saturday morning and convince me that his and/or her name was Dave,I needed a very expensive mobile cameraphone and/or bank loan,I was very lucky to be me on such a beautiful day (despite it being wet,the middle of winter and 8.00 a.m) and that giving my consent to recieve such beautiful gifts and services is in no way,shape or form contractually binding for the first 30 days after which I'll be stiffed stiffer than the stiffest stiffy in stiffseville.

Well,it's a dirty job,but someone gotta do it i 'spose... :iluvcf

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, maybe Newcastle should have it's own help desk centre. I am English but I can't make head nor tail of Jordie accents either :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have to speak to Dell support on a regular basis, everyone seems to be called ‘Dave’! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. michael78

You can't spell it either Bluerinse it's spelt Geordie :lolbang

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

arisen...not sure if Dell do have one in Ireland but Apple certainly do and we have our Apple UK call centre in Newcastle...oh and Bluerinse sylpie is right...even tho I aint Geordie (from London) I have had a few Geordie people call up saying how pleased they are to speaking to someone who can speak English and not have to worry about repeating themselves over and over again. In fact someone said on our call floor that the workers in India get paid £1000 p/a now I dont know if that is true...but boy they have it tough over there...still its no wonder companies will be losing customers when they move their call centres to India...anyone here a Lloyds TSB customer? hear about how they closed down the only call centre they had in Newcastle and moved to India? now imagine how they feel...even some of the staff who now work with us at Apple were from HP (same building we're in) and when they learnt the news that their call centre was being moved to India...well it didnt sit well with them...we even had our soon to be new neighbours ITV making a local news coverage about it!! (they are now our next door neighbours)...but if Apple decide to move to India I would not be pleased at all!!! anyway the calls that go to India are all iPod related...but it gets better people...they now have a call centre in Athens!! yes thats right Greece. Apple have set up another iPod call centre in Athens...so if India aint bad enough they move to sunny Greece aswell...wherever next? The Maldives? just so long as I am on the beach with a nice totty...I wouldnt mind moving...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

in actual fact Newcastle has over 180 call centres (well the North East of England but the majority is in or around Newcastle). We have BT (broadband and phones), Orange (mobile phone company), Telewest (sales), Barclays bank, Capital One Bank, GNER (railway company) and of course HP and Apple to name but a few...so there are plenty of them about...

14. law123

law123 Byte Poster

5000 jobs going to India. I am not wanting to sound racist in anyway as I am NOT but at least it will stop them coming here and taking our jobs. They just now get them sent over to them. The only thing is we will all have to go over there and take there's :duel . So from now on just call Abdul Mohammed :twisted:

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  15. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

What gets me is when I've been transferred to an offshore helpdesk for something they've very rarely been able to help me with my query. If you ask them a question that isn't covered in their script they'll repeat something like 'I'm very sorry I can't help you with that is there anything else I can help you with today' over and over.

I haven't had so many problems with the language barrier but the lack of information and training has has made me hang up thinking 'oh just forget it I'm going somewhere else'

Not sure what bank it is that's advertising on telly at the mo but each person in the ad says 'better' after each selling point. One of those selling points being UK callcentres. Lets hope other companies follow suit

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry lads, Geordie it is :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. michael78

Your forgiven Bluerinse, my Austrian chum...:tune

as for the accents thing I don't have a strong geordie accent but it took me 3 atempts to get a technical problem sorted with Tiscali because the poor sod couldn't understand what I was saying. Imagine what it must be like if your from Glasgow...:blink

18. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A dinee knar wot ya problem is like, I have ne got an accent! :ohmy

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

wot the fook ye taaking aboot man!! nowt wrong the geordie accent like!! Mackems!! haha!! and I aint even Geordie...not bad eh!! :twisted:

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's "Australian". :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+