Dell GX270 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clyde, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well there was a time when I could have done that with my eyes shut but now, 30 years later my eyes might as well be shut because I now have to wear reading glasses and they are no substitute for my previously perfect 20-20 vision. Sheesh, I even have to get a magnifying glass out to read an XP product key off that silly case sticker :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

During the summer, I looked at an old P3 machine which would POST and then restart itself. I removed all the IDE cables and happened to notice one of the Cap's had <melted>.
    The thing was, it wasn't worth replacing the mobo (Micro ATX P3!)
    I used to mess around with electronics in school, so after purchasing an identical Capacitor from Maplin (just under a pound) i turned the heat right down on my iron, used the solder sucker and swopped it over. I was amazed that it worked !

The person was over the moon, as the were expecting the price of a new system and software but just paid for two hours of my time and the cap.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice work Si but you should have replaced all the electrolytic caps over 650µF - if one has gone the others will follow :wink:

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

Fair comment, but in all honesty, I never thought it would work!
    I didn't want to <play> with the board too much- it felt like a prawn cracker!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Now that is worrying :biggrin