Delivery charges

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by postman, Aug 6, 2008.

1. postman

postman Byte Poster

Something that really annoys me is the fact that if I buy something from Ebay they then charge me an additional £10-£15 to deliver it me.

I know that using Royal Mail Special Delivery wouldn't cost that much so why are we being discriminated against.

I could get a flight to Spain for less than what it costs me for carriage.:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Could you not just buy something on eBay from a dude that lives in Spain? Then pick it up in person so you save money and get a holiday at the same time, problem solved! :biggrin

Only kidding, it is expensive but what option do you have. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

eBay doesn't charge you; the individual selling the item is charging you... and they can't ship it to you for free. I know I couldn't afford to sell you a £10 book and ship it for free...

If you think that the shipping charges are outrageous, simply don't buy from eBayers charging what you believe to be outrageous shipping charges.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I think you will in fact find that the reason a lot of stuff is cheap for the item and heavy on the postage is because ebay charge sellers fees on the item cost alone not including the postage, it saves the seller money, that said paypal charge on the full amount received

5. postman

postman Byte Poster

I'm not against charging for delivery but the fact that those of us in NI get charged extra because of some water.
    Today I ordered a computer only to find that because I live less than 50 miles away I have to pay more than someone who lives 500 miles away (and 150% more at that).

If they just put it in the post it would then be here the following day and be cheaper.:x

6. Markyboyt

Oh right so its the uplift on the postage because there sending to ireland that your gripe is with, I dont really know on that front then, maybe its down to the chosen method charging more to send it or something like that

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For sure shipping is not free. Especially delivering something abroad but to be honest sometimes sellers take advantage of that and over charge the shipping. I guess I can understand that to a certain extent like they have to take the time and prep the item, package it up, etc then ship it. Other times it's a small item yet it's a killer on the shipping.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. postman

postman Byte Poster

They're sending it to Northern Ireland which is still part of the UK (at least the last time I checked) but my problem is charging 150% more (and I'm not really blaming the Ebayers but the courier companies).

We already pay more for food/fuel/houses and pretty much about everything else plus our wages are lower than the rest of the UK so forgive me if I feel a little annoyed about it.

9. BosonMichael

Can't drive it across. Not currently, anyway. :)

Then don't do business with sellers that charge high postage rates. Do your research: find out how much it's gonna be BEFORE you bid. It's generally listed, but if it's not, ask, so there is no surprise. Figure that cost into whether it's worth it for you to bid.

Again, eBay charges sellers a listing fee (regardless of whether an item sells) and a final price fee (based on what price item is bought for). They do NOT charge postage fees; that fee is entirely up to the seller. If you don't like the postage fees that the seller is charging, don't buy it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

But... some eBayers deserve the blame. Many of them artificially raise the fee so they make some money of the postage fee... which eBay doesn't take a portion of. Others simply charge what they are charged... and they have to pass that cost on to you.

As far as the courier company fees go... I'll repeat, they can't drive it across. They have to put it on a plane or a boat. Thus, it's more expensive.

I'll give you the same advice I give people who live in more expensive parts of the US: if you don't like the high cost of living where you are, move. You control you.

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

When i used to use eBay, I would ask the seller before bidding if they would agree to ship by another method than the one stated on the item description. 9 times out of 10 the answer I got back was basically 'yes, if you win the item we can make alternative delivery arrangements'.

I would do a bit of research and find out say, how much an iPod weighed, or what a book weighed etc and compare it with the postal service rates at the time and quote a price from there. Usually that would be fine, I rarely ran in to problems with sellers. I would do the same if I was selling an item.

Today i don't use eBay, it's far cheaper for me to fly to the USA or Canada and buy goods there, throw away the retail box/packaging, remove all the tags etc etc and throw the item(s) in a suitcase and bring back to Cayman with me. When in Rome...

I do however miss eBay for oddities and rarities I liked to buy now and again. :cry:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Yep. Lots of American's live here. Nobody here has ever heard of, or has long forgotten the word 'Tax'! :cheers:clap:mrgreen:

13. BosonMichael

Ah, but I don't have to deal with a high cost of living where I live. You couldn't pay me to move out of the US... at least, for now...

14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

It's cheaper than Zimbabwe! :mrgreen:

15. BosonMichael

Never considered living there, either. :rolleyes::biggrin

16. postman

postman Byte Poster

I really love that advice and while I'm leaving because we are being treated like second class citizens maybe I'll convince the nearly 2 million others to leave to. Anyway I'd find it difficult to find someone to buy my $1 million home in the current economic climate:(

As for the having to put the packages on a plane or a boat, yes they do but crossings are so frequent and cheap it does not justify the extra (in fact it's probably cheaper to deliver to me than to deliver to some areas of the mainland).

So it costs £10 to deliver it to the mainland but £25 to deliver it to Northern Ireland and we over here are either supposed to just accept it happily or up sticks and relocate to the mainland.

17. Markyboyt

I would but I hear its a bit pricey to get stuff delivered over there :lol: