Defrag prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Missy, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

I cant defrag it only gets to 10% then starts again, I even left it on all night, I do a clean disk, Scan Disk, standard and thorough everything is ok, is there another way of doing it, please. :rolleyes:
    Thanks Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Am I right in thinking you said before you were using Windows 98, Missy ? (Sorry - too late to look back through your posts)

If so, make sure you disable your screensaver before running the defrag, and from memory, you should use Task Manager (via ctrl+alt+delete) to stop all but explorer, and systray.

Then, start Windows defrag, and it will run fine (if still taking a while, as it is a crap defrag implementation, courtesy Microsoft !)

That should work for you :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi jakomoko, yes I am on windows 98, cheers for the advice I will give it a go, might do it tomorrow as my whole internet went down :cry: ,rang tesco's again, it did it on saturday too, he changed the Dail up to mail.tesco.net, but the tech guy told me to set it at tesco.net on Saturday :x
    My 1 month free calls to the tech's run's out tomorrow.
    What a girl to do :rolleyes:
    Missy

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Or you could try running defrag in safe mode.

Windows 98 defrag was always a pain but I preferred the screen, it was more entertaining than what we have now with W2K and XP. I am easily entertained :oops:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I remember I had to run defrag in safe mode on my Windows 98 machine because it did exactly what you are describing, Missy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

I also ran defrag in safe mode. I think it's a bit faster, since only the essential processes are running.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I used to have the same problem with Windows ME. No matter what I did it would stop at 10% and tell me that some process was writing to disk even when I had stopped everything else.
    Screensaver is the obvious one though.
    Turn it off, and try stopping all processes except EXPLORER and SYSTRAY in task manager.

But I suppose that's ME for you.
    The solution?
    I threw my laptop out of the window.

Or should that be I threw my Windows out of the window...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi
    Well thanks for that all of you, I told you I was new to this so can you tell me how you run it in 'safe mode' please :oops:
    And bluerinse I agree I also like watching the screen when it defrags, 'how sad are we' :D
    Missy

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

To use the F8 key to start Windows 98/Me in Safe mode

1. Restart the computer.
    2. As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows 98/Me Startup menu appears.
    3. When the Windows 98 (or Me) Startup Menu appears, select Safe Mode and press Enter.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

I used to have the same problem when I was using Win98 and was solved with disabling the screen saver.

Never thought about Safe Mode though ... You learn something new everyday!

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just to add a bit to Si's excellent instructions, there is a very brief moment when the computer is restarting that a message will appear on the screen...usually at the bottom that mentions using the F8 function button. *That's* the time to strike. I can't count the number of times when I was a moment too slow and missed out. Also, sometimes just holding it down doesn't do the trick and you have to repeatedly press the button in rapid succession until the desired screen appears.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree with trip on this one...many a times have I had to repeatedly press the F8 key myself and boy what a pain it can be...but if your quick enough then you dont need to worry...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

14. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I also experienced that problem with Win98. Never did get around it...

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I forgot to mention in my original reply, Missy - DO NOT MOVE YOUR MOUSE once you click to start the defrag. I never ran it in Safe Mode, but just by following these few steps, I never had any problems (apart from what to do with the spare 2 hours I was then faced with ....:blink )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ah but Gav...you get to spend those two hours looking at all the pretty colored boxes move around. :tongue

17. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Well thanks to you all I am now completly defragged, left it for 3hours and went and did some retail therapy, came back to the sight of 'Defra completed' hooray, mind you I did miss watching it :-)
    Missy

18. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I remember the old Norton Speed Disk used to restart due all of what you mentioned. I'm sure during 99 they brought a version that didn't restart when a process intefered...it just paused and then started back up when the process finished. I know they all do that now but it was quite a groovy thing for 98 and ME!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  19. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi Trip
    When i got back from my trip 'no pun intended' i restarted the machine and actualy as usual, the menu came up at the begining of start up, so does this means I dont have to press F8 ?. I also noticed when it restarted it was at 'Normal' mode so does it always return to normal automaticlly after using 'safe mode' ?
    Cheers Missy

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I believe so if this is the menu you mean:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
    =============================

1. Normal
        2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
        3. Safe mode
        4. Step-by-step confirmation
        5. Command prompt only
        6. Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice: 1
    If this menu comes up everytime your machine powers up, you don't have to press F8 to go into safe mode. While this screen is visible, press "3" and you'll boot into safe mode. The default selection is "1" for normal so if you do nothing on this screen, you'll automatically boot as usual.

There are some other neat options here too and you might want to play around with them at some point. Glad we were able to help. BTW, go to the Software forum if you haven't been there already. I posted another Windows 98 resource for you there. Thought you might be interested. :)