Decision time..... Advice!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, May 22, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - I can't see anybody on here giving any advice other than what i would - stay put, do the training and get the qualifications they are willing to let you get. Admittedly, 22k a year is pants - you'd easily be on 30k if you were in London, probably 40 if you were in the city (but why would you want all that stress!) but you should never leave a job just to get more money.

I reckon with (by the time you've done the CCNP and CISSP) ten years' experience, still being young, all those certs and a decent work history behind you, you'll be able to move into a decent role - maybe as a junior Technical Architect or similar on double the money you're on currently.

You wouldn't have to go all the way to London either - being in Salisbury you could probably commute to the UKs answer to Silicon Valley (the Newbury-Reading-Bracknell corridor) and still get a decent mortgage in Salisbury. My wife's cousin used to work for the MOD in Salisbury (he's an immunologist and worked in Porton Down on the Ebola virus :eyecrazy) and their house was bigger than mine and half the price! Just don't move to Andover (apparently its full of inbreeds - the doctor's in Wiltshire just write 'NFA' when a mental patient comes into their surgeries - 'Normal For Andover' :twisted: )

Sounds like you're also ina similar position to me career-wise - working for a Police Force we've got a ridiculously flat management structure - there's only two steps between me and the bloody CIO! - so if I want to advance my career I'll have to leave, but I'm not planning on doing that for a while. Just had my appraisal and it came in as 'Excellent' - which marks me out for promotion. However, my manager's job is shite - loads of stress, moving away from my area (Security) and into Infrastructure Management (not something I want to do)

Stick it out and put up with the crap money - working for a council can't be stressful, and you'll have loads of time to to study there, they have a blank chequebook for training and obviously think highly enough of you to do as much as they can to keep you - so enjoy it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. SamSixty

SamSixty Bit Poster

If you enjoy your job at the moment do not change it for the sake of money, more money in = more money out.

I get paid well for a job I do not enjoy (army) and I am willing to take a big pay drop to change for a career in IT that I am sure I will enjoy.

Money really is not everything. If you’re unhappy in your career you will be unhappy in life.

It seems like your company value you so maybe if you let them know your feelings (after the courses ofc) they may give you a rise.

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks for all your replys guys....

I've actually got an interview for that job on Wednesday (tomorrow!) at 6pm. Thankfully all my managers are away this week so no-one will be any the wiser and it wont do any harm to see what this company has to offer.

I'm still leaning towards staying put and doing more training.... but if the role sounds good and if they offer me reasonable money (33k-35k) i will have to consider it.... i've worked so hard for the last 8 years it might be time for me to cash in and move onto the next stage of my life - i.e buying a house.... something i cant do at the moment.

I'll let you all know how it goes! We shall see! :blink :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I wish you well Matt as you surely have showed initiative and enthusiasm. You do indeed deserve some more money especially doing what you like as well. I'd say go for it as employers would not be loyal to you when rubber meets the road. Let's know how the interview went.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well guys i went for the interview last night and it seemed to go well. Lovely drive down, not as far as i thought and the premises and location of this company are lovely.

Didnt get to meet the IT Manager as he was ill but i did meet a director. I've been invited back for a second interview.

However one part of the job involves 3 months in the seasonal contact centre doing admin type work - monitoring file downloads and credit card transactions.

I dont think even if they offered me 35K i would take the job as i really dont think its the right move for my career... and i've worked too hard to being doing that kind of work.

I'll think about it over the weekend and maybe i'll apply for other jobs as and when they crop up..... but for now i'm gonna concentrate on my CCNA re-certification and CISSP.... and just hope i earn some good money next year..... as i cant stay on 22k for much longer! :blink

Thanks for the all the advice!! :D

6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well guys, i've decided not to take this role any further and to concentrate on my CISSP, CCNA and CCNP qualififcations.

Time to break to the news! :eek:

It feels like the correct decision, so i'm happy. 8)