Debt Repayments

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Aug 10, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have made sacrifices, I'm only earning enough to cover my essential bills and that's all I'm concentrating on. I wouldn't be even contemplating what am contemplating if I thought there was no other way out.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you cant even afford a tenner, then maybe you need to reduce your living costs somehow.

for example: if you take a bus to work and it takes 10 minutes, leave the house 30 minutes earlier and walk.

I have had to make a lot of sacrifices like not being able to go on holiday or visit my best friend who lives 112 miles away. I havent seen him for 2 years now

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I cannot reduce my living costs any further.

I have never been on holiday so that doesn't factor into it. I don't go out, it is just the nature of the bills I have to pay, my employer won't increase my hours to full time hours.

4. greenbrucelee

can you find something else to do for a living

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's what I am doing, but at the moment, my new agency cannot seem to get to speak to their client that I went for an interview on Tuesday, despite promising a decision would be made yesterday at the latest.

6. greenbrucelee

you might have consider an IVA, get advice from the citizens advice bureau. Phone them tomorrow and make an appointment they have specially trained people to help and its free.

They will advise you on the best course of action, sometimes on Saturdays they have drop in time so you don't need an appointment

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I cannot afford an IVA that's the point, I already have contacted the CCCS (Consumer Credit Counselling Service).

In order to have an IVA you need some surplus cash, which I haven't got. If I had the surplus cash, I would have already taken that option.

8. greenbrucelee

Is bankruptcy what CCCS have advised?

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yes that was one of the options.

10. greenbrucelee

if there are other options there must be one thats better than bankruptcy

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Delivering pizzas at night is always an option! That is... if you have that sort of thing in the UK... showing my Americentric ignorance here... :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll need some "surplus cash" just to declare bankruptcy...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Increasing you income is just as important as cutting expenditure and is often more effective. You could indeed work multiple jobs or find a better paying job.

14. greenbrucelee

yes we do have pizza delivery here.

I have even cleaned the f***** public toilets in the afternoon before starting a 12 hour shift at work, theres always away out of bankruptcy.

CCJs on the other hand cant be helped

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There were but only if my income improved. My crystal ball is being fixed at the moment :D

16. greenbrucelee

Try to keep up beat I know its depressing I have had trouble sleeping for years but I put it down to my debts because when my debts were at the worst I never slept.

Try not to get depressed

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's why i try to meditate now, I have been a little deflated lately.

18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Best of luck mate, sure you'll figure it out, its only money when alls said and done, loads more important things in life...

19. greenbrucelee

Meditation may work for you, but I was so stressed for years nothing helped unless I was drunk and stoned

I think you should do as I did and try and get a part time job.

At one stage I was working in a job finishing then going to another job and basically it felt like I was working for nothing cos I was putting it all on my debts

And as I have said the 30k I was in is now just under 6k thats just the CCJ part, my mum who helped me will be paid back by next march and £250 a month I have been giving her will go on my CCJ 250 a month X 24 is 6000

20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I racked up some debt when I was at uni but at the time I wasn’t too stressed about it as I thought I would land a job after graduating.

As many us have experienced getting the first IT job is tough and it took me a further 9 months to land a job after graduating and my wage in IT was awful!

Things *can* change though and after some hard work I got a few pay rises I managed to clear the debt.

For those who are in debt I would seriously think about what your options are. I had this convo with my old man a few years ago when I was in the pub. I told him I was up to my eyes in debt, couldn’t get a job in IT and basically life was crap. He said, “what are your options?” we had a chat and a few beers and 5 years later I’m debt free.

I picked the right option.... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs