Deadline question.

Discussion in 'A+' started by dhenderson, Sep 30, 2010.

1. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Hi all,

I know this has been covered in the forums before and i wasnt sure whether to put this in the A+ or Network + as it relates to both.

As we all know CompTIA are starting a renewal policy on the A+ and Network+ from 1st January 2011.

I am taking a CompTIA A+ course with Firebrand Training in November and i am taking the exams then as well. I want to do network too . There also seems to be a sense of urgency for everyone to pass before the deadline but I basically want to ask this. Is it really that bad if i passed after 2010? I know id have to renew every three years but how would the IT market Sector see this? Would it be seen as a disadvantage having to renew every three years?

Thanks.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +
    WIP: MCTS: 70-640 - Active Directory Server 2008 , configuring.
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

In truth the renewal policy shouldn't cause you to lose too much sleep, if you don't hang around once you've got them you should find yourself in a position where renewing after 3 years is pointless as other more advanced certifications will have taken their place on your CV. A+ and Network+ are 'foot in the door' certs, once your in and working with relevant job experience they lose value fast.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Unless you fail to secure a significant amount of experience in the three years after passing these exams I don't think there's any real need to renew these certs.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think it's more a point that a lot of people don't see the need to renew both the A+ and Network+ as by the time 3 years is up you should really be past that level and doing more advanced certs. For the life of me I can't see why CompTIA have made this decision as it might live to regret it as people shy away from doing the certs and choosing a different path such as MCTS's. Why CompTIA would think anyone would want to recertify these certs is beyond me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

I wonder if insurance companies will insist that a companies tech's are renewing their certs? I see this is a lot in gas engineers and plumbers, liability insurance only granted if the latest certification has been awarded.

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  6. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Thanks all, thats helped alot.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +
    WIP: MCTS: 70-640 - Active Directory Server 2008 , configuring.