Data/Project management

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Nov 1, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, I need some advice about a data management program.

I picked up in a meeting the other day when my big boss mentioned he was impressed by a data management presentation. I asked him today about it and if he was thinking that the company might need one (getting in early here) and he said yes, he was seriously thinking of it but next year. I told him I knew of one that is tailored more to laboratory work and biotech/pharma companies from NuGenesis. He then mentioned MS Project as Novartis use it.

As I see it the NuGenesis would do us well in the data management side of things and maybe Project for project management but I have no idea about MS Project.

Can anyone with Project experience advise me as to what Project can really do with data. We would need to pull data together from various sources and formats, provide reports and presentations, and find and keep track of data throughout the company.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

So, I take it that absolutely no-one here has any knowledge about MS Project?:(

Oh well. After checking out the basics of each, I talked to the boss and explained indepth what each program does. He then said he wanted more in the way of Project Management so I will now test it out for him.

I just need to get hold of MS Project Server now and set it all up on VMWare. Cool. If I get this right I can see myself with a new 'career'.:D

Another good point is that he also said we might need a windows server as well for it all to run on. Yay.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Phoenix, I already have that one and I've spent a bit of time there already.:D

What I was after was real world opinions and experiences of Project rather than the MS advertising though. I guess I'll find out for myself.:D

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

nugget mate
    i have alot of respect for microsofts website, especially the ammount of information geared at IT professionals, there are webcasts, white papers, and any number of resources, that although have a little marketing angle, are geared at folks like you and me, who have to use this stuff but havn't done yet

i pretty much self taught myself SMS 2003 with all the MS resources available for it :)

check the IT Pro section for white paper and deployment guides/scenarios

good luck :)

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Phoenix, don't get me wrong but I meant more the marketing and advertising angle. I totally agree about the info side of things though.

I'm thinking of setting it up in my vmware lab, with a win2k3 server and say 3 win2k pro clients. First with just the Project standard, connecting it all together with WSS (as advertised). Then maybe with Project Server, SQL Server and Project Pro.:D

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

great stuff mate, im a little snowed under with Exchange 2003 stuff at present, gonna try sit the exam soon

but let me knwo what you accomplish, id like to follow along with the progress for when i have the time to implement the solution myself

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'll do that for sure.:D