Dark Side of BitTorrent

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Jul 26, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I tried downloading Slackware 10 at work using BitTorrent. Got to about 63% of disk three (out of four disks) when the boss came down and said I was taking up three high speed ports and bringing the rest of the network to a crawl. :blink

No one was made but they asked me to knock it off. Offered to let me do the download after business hours but I'd have to leave my beloved laptop behind for a night or stay late (neither was an option). Next day, one of the engineers came down with copies of his disks (no hard feelings, I guess). Now I hear that some businesses completely ban the use of BitTorrent on their networks.

Moral of the story...don't do BitTorrent at work. 8)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Bit torrent is hardly bad
    newer versions can have the download speeds limited which the standard client cant, which means it will use whatever it can (often you wont max out corporate bandwidth but sometimes your lucky/unlucky

some places ban it altogether not because of that though, but because its use in the distribution of copyrighted software, music, videos, etc

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, it was *still* embarrassing.
    :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+