CWNP Trainer

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by David Coleman, Aug 21, 2006.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Bit Poster

Hi everyone. I live in Atlanta, Georgia in the USA but usually make it over to the UK at least once or twice a year for work.

I am a trainer that teaches the CWNP wireless classes and the author of the Sybex "CWNA Study Guide". I hope I can make a meaningful participation in these forums.

David Coleman

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard David. I am sure you will make a very valuble contribution.

regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

That's one of the certs that is on my list of 'one day'! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. David Coleman

David Coleman Bit Poster

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes!

Harry... the CWNA certification is TOUGH:twisted:

But the wireless networking technology is FUN:cheers

David Coleman
    [email protected]

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome David! I saw your book on amazon... looks good.... im looking at the Wireless# cert in the future as i think wireless admins could be in demand soon!

I hope you stick around in our little part of the IT world... im sure alot of members could benefit from your great info!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. hbroomhall

Tough doesn't worry me. My major problem is time.

Up until early this year I had a fairly relaxed job, so could devote time to picking up certs (I only started on them last autumn).

Then suddenly we were taken over, and a huge project was given to us, and I don't seem to have any spare time any longer!

But I'll get back to it at some point.

Harry.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Harry are you aware of the Wireless# cert?

8. hbroomhall

I knew of it, but didn't know (and still don't know) any detail.

But as I've dug quite a bit into the standards behind it, and set up quite a few wireless networks I feel that it isn't impossible!

Harry.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

10. hbroomhall

Interesting to look at that again. I've not seen *any* Zigbee stuff in this country. There seems to be more 'excitement' on WiMAX than that at the moment here!

And Bluetooth seems to have dropped into a small niche. I wonder if it can ever break out...

Hrary.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi David, glad you found us and have made the decision to sign up. You certainly are welcome here!

We do have rules regarding advertising, which if you haven't read them already, can be found here

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. David Coleman

David Coleman Bit Poster

Thank you. Bluerinse.. I understand completly. I did read the rules in advance of my original post and that is why I did not include a link nor an ISBN. I felt an introduction of background as an author was however appropriate. I will continue to respect the rules of these forums and will refrain from advertising.

David Coleman

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thank you David, that is much appreciated 8)

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Great to have a technical author around - espeically one as well-versed in Wireless as you are!

I'd love to go for the CWNA, but since I work in Law Enforcement and the chances of us getting WLANs in at any time in the near future are precisely zilch, I can't see the ol' employer going for it!

I do screw around with WLANs quite a bit though - I do a lot of audits in private consultancy work (at least i did til I gave up all my private clients in a fit of pique after I decided it wasn't worth chasing them for the money they owed me any more) - mainly from a security perspective, informing them about WEP/WPA/PSK - (and Kismet, coWPAtty and Evil Twin attacks :twisted: ) and would like to get a thorough grounding in a vendor-neutral cert.

Maybe one day I'll convince myself of the need to invest in the training off my own back!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. David Coleman

David Coleman Bit Poster

Zebulebu,

Wireless is very poplular with law enforcement and the military in the USA... but ONLY with validated and stringent requirements. Wireless security is my FAVORITE SUBJECT but only one aspect of the CWNA certification and that is why the the CWNP program, www.cwnp.com - also has a seperate certification based solely on wireless security.

Glad to know that you understand the evil twin and cow-patty. Stay away from WI-Fi Phishing:twisted:

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - I know about the US law enforcement agencies' adoption of wireless. Problem in the UK is, until something is ratified by GCHQ, then passed through the correct accreditation process, there's no way it can ever be implemented by any police force. This is obviously perfectly correct - I agree wholeheartedly with it. I just worry like every other network admin that some smartass in a remote office somewhere will trot down to PC World and buy a WAP for thirty quid then stick it on our LAN without even enabling WPA (I don't even see WEP as an option any more - at least the info on cracking WPA requires someone with a little more technical know-how than what's required for cracking WEP). Indeed, I'm currently in the middle of writing my 'strategic map' for the next five years - regular WLAN audits will form part of our protective strategy for the foreseeable future!

As for wi-fi phishing - you wouldn't believe the looks I got from a private client when I showed them how easy it was to set up an evil twin site and redirect traffic to it. Their network admin almost turned all their WLAN stuff off straight away, she was so worried!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. David Coleman

David Coleman Bit Poster

I am curious to what "GCHQ" is?

Any Wi-Fi solution in the US government has to be approved by a US agency called NIST and everyone has to abide by the cryptography regulations of FIPS-140-2

david

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry to jump in David but I suspect Zeb has gone to bed :rolleyes:

Read all about it

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, David. Great to have another writer on board. I certainly can't claim your record or reputation as an author, but I'm doing my best. Welcome to CertForums, mate. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009