CV's vs Resumes's ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, Apr 21, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Their motive for asking for it is to prove to the government that they are, in fact, accepting applications from all races (and hiring them, where applicable). All part of that "equal opportunity" crap, and in this, we certainly agree. Whatever happened to hiring the best person for the job? Again, I don't care if you're black, white, man, woman, old, young... if you can do the job, I want you on my team. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

My other half works in recruitment. Thought I'd share her opinions on it with you all:

Firstly - she never looks at hobbies and interests. Not unless shes bored and fancies a laugh. Its not relevant and, to be honest, its usually the first thing they strip out of a CV when reformatting it. The employer doesnt care, neither does the agency, so its just not included.

Secondly - Specifically in her area (engineering), but in general, a long cover letter, and the inclusion of useless things like hobbies generally indicates someone who isnt up to the specs of the job. Most of the experienced people will let their work history speak for itself. Anyone including a long cover letter is justifying why they feel they are suitable for the job, even though they dont have the requirements. Anyone including hobbies, etc, generally doesnt have enough CV collateral, and is trying to fill the CV out a bit more.

I'd also like to go back to the issue of references. It is a standard expectation (in the UK at least) of employers that you will (or at least can) provide references on request. As such, I dont feel its relevant to put it on the CV. In a case like this, where its expected, you are just wasting valuable space on the CV. You should really only say something about references if you can't provide them - ie if your previous employer has liquidated.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just for clarification... I don't send out a LONG cover letter. Nor do I include hobbies and such on the cover letter. It simply introduces me and shows my interest in their company so I'm not just a bunch of bullet points on a page. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Cover letters are good (although I have to admit to being a bit lax with it personally). Just loooooooooo[insert google type string here]ooooong cover letters are bad.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present