CVoice 642-636 exam query..

Discussion in 'Voice' started by jonmo2578, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jonmo2578

jonmo2578 New Member

Hey Guys,

Now that the QOS is out the way, the CVoice appears to be the next obvious exam, however I have noticed that there is a new exam out there... 642-636

Seems that the revised study guide is not out till July.. I dont particularly want to wait around for this now that Im in the studying groove ( it was hard enough starting up !! ).

Is there anyone currently studyin for the newer exam .. ? or are people still going to for the older 642-632 before the end of July deadline ??.. Is it worth me trying for this one if there is currently no up to date study material out there ??..

The alternative is that I jump onto the CM 4x exams as that is what I work with daily, however will I miss any important concepts from the CVoice require for the CIPT ??

Any advice appreciated.. Cheers

2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Are you ready to write the exam now?
    From the folks I know doing this, the ones that are prepared to write soon are doing so before the change, while those starting to prepare are going for the new version.

Saying that, I thought there was some overlap time, but I haven't looked to closely to see.

3. jonmo2578

jonmo2578 New Member

Not really, havent started... but as I support VOIP on Call Manager, Im hoping that material wouldnt be too alien to me..

I just wondering whether to worth trying to study the material and try and do the older exam before it becomes out of date at the end of July..

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well, you have 3-months to get the exam done.
    I'd review the exam topics; and see a book on the exam topics. The objective is to determine if I had enough background experience / knowledge to be able to understand the material quickly; or if it would take quite sometime.

3-months is a lot of time for some, and not even enough to cover the first 3-chapters for others.

5. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

Now that, is a great feeling!

Funny thing is I decided to do CVOICE as well! :) Great minds think alike!

The reason I chose CVOICE was purely down to the thickness of the Cisco Press study book. It's half the size of the QOS book!

I figured I will do the 642-432 - I got a scare with the QOS and I think the book will probably be much more aligned to the older exam. Also boson have exam sims for this exam! :)

I'll read the book cover to cover and then take the exam after - maybe week Friday. I wish I hadn't sold most of my 2611's and 2620's on Ebay. One of them had FXO and FXS - Darn! At least I kept my CM/Unity setup on via mini-itx!

Good luck with your studies!

Certifications: CCNA MCP
  6. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

Ah well!

I passed the 642-432 Cisco Voice over IP today! :)

The pass score was a little over 700 which was nice! I managed about 800.

As expected there was quite a bit on H.323, SIP, Signaling, codecs.

Nothing to deep on H.323 but fairly detailed in E&M types etc.

Anyone who reads 'Cisco Voice over IP (CVoice) 2nd Edition, practices some exams and practices some pots and voip dial peers should do well.

You'll have to hurry though, this exam is due to be retired in (I think) July. :(

Certifications: CCNA MCP
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I think you're right, it is about to expire soon.
    Congrats on the pass... :thumbleft