CV- how many pages?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 6, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello I am applying for a new position in IT.

The company have asked for a covering letter and CV.

My current CV is two pages, however the last recruitment agency told me that employers today don't have time to read through two pages and I should put it all on one?

What do you think?

Does anyone else have a two page CV?

Monkey :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah mine is two pages... and i think thats ok or is mine max'ed' out too? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Mine is about 1.5 pages. You have got to get the layout right though. It's no good putting your hobbies and interests on the front page.

You CV has to catch the eye of the reader so that it stands out from the others. Short and sweet.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Remember - The CV is about the facts, the covering letter (which is equally important) is about you, the person. 8)

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was told that 2 pages was the max. I feel that if you try and get it all onto 1 page it'll look cramped.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!

"simongrahamuk Remember - The CV is about the facts, the covering letter (which is equally important) is about you, the person."

Good point!

"AJ - You CV has to catch the eye of the reader so that it stands out from the others. Short and sweet"

True, but I always try to have box standard CV and a CV that is geared towards the position I'm applying for.

The only problems with that, I am never happy with my CV and constantly change it. After almost 8 Versions of my original try I usually ended up going back to the original! :)

Anyone else have this problem?

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Can anyone suggest a good book for writing cover letters?

UCM :biggrin

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh and I forgot to ask,

I have been using Arial font for my CV but I was wondering what other fonts people use to make their CV stand out? :blink

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I've actually had very different experiences with my CV. Mine is 3 pages and i dont think its too long at all.... just right but i wouldn't go past that limit.

I've attached it (minus some personal details) for people to have a look at if they want.

I find presentation is a key factor. The covering letter has to be well written and laid out, the CV in colour on good paper. First impressions really do count.

The number of quickly filled out application forms with mistakes i've seen are crazy, how can you expect a job when no effort goes into the application! Thats my view anyhow!! :blink

Oh forgot to mention on my CV in the certifcation area there a 4 certs in a lighter font because those are ones im am going for now!!

Attached Files:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Matt for the advice and ideas!

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Maybe so but it is a little confusing, There seems to be no hard fast rules with regards to CV's. With everyone saying something different - too much white space - too long - too short - don't put Introduction on don't do this don't do that it's hard not to be confused :confused3

Getting the message across or just trying to work out what will catch the employers eye is very difficult!

13. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid

Simon couldn't have been more right. While Matt's is impressive, and he does have 7 years of experience, I think it's *way* too long. No disrespect intended, he's obviously very talented, and has no problems whatsoever getting work. This CV, IMHO, is great for the second or third interview -- when you are seriously being considered. That's when it's important for you to sell yourself on a personal (and overall) level.

However...

Most managers I know (humans, really) have Attention Deficit Disorder to some extent, and generally skim everything they read. Most of the items on the CV (certifications, etc) need not be defined, since even the HR or Recruiting Staff has been informed on acronyms, and know not to filter certain things out. The managers that I've had look at that type of CV and see $$$ or a PITA, unfortunately.

Remember, a good manager can read into the personality of a CV, just by a glance. It's verbosity, structure, spelling and grammar reveals a great deal about the subject. For example, I'm trying to explain to a non-technical person about the steps needed to perform some task. After the 3rd sentence, their eyes glaze over. It's not because I'm wrong, it's just that I'm *very* particular to detail, and want to make sure I don't leave anything out. However, most people are not like me, and need the less-verbose edition. Some people say that there is never enough information (like the media), but I just don't need to see another 15mph car 'chase' on TV (for example). Detail is fine, but mostly when it's asked for.

EDIT -- this is to make sure that Matt (or anyone else) isn't offended by my points, since they seem a tad pointed. My apologies, just trying to make a point.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Make it two pages mate, if you have had 5,000 jobs and can’t fit them all in just highlight some of the key points.

Also it’s good to have a personal statement\profile at the start of the CV. Something like, ‘IT pro with 5 years experience supporting, Windows, Linux, blah blah’. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good point Fotch = KISS

I don't think your reply was offensive just another point of view

UCM 8)

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member