CV help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, so I’m revising my CV just now but I’m unsure of a few things.

I’ve worked on loads of networks over the past few years, it’s like that when you work for an IT company, and this has given me experience in many different networking technologies. The problem is I don’t know if I should list *all* of them as I’m not exactly an expert in some of them.

Take Cisco for example. Yes, all the newbies want to jump on the Cisco bandwagon but I have seen some fairly complex Cisco installs and I know I’m just not at that level yet. However I have done a few Cisco projects, one was a wireless project and the other was taking over the admin of a Cisco PIX firewall and VLANs for a few months while a network admin was off work, I still do some admin when he is on holiday now.

So do I list Cisco experience on my CV? Basic Cisco admin is ok but anything more than that is beyond me at this stage.

I’ve plugged in a few pre-configured Nokia check point firewalls, do I list that as well? Obviously Im kidding but at what stage do you consider yourself skilled up in a certain technology to list it on your CV?

Virtual beers, wine and diet coke available for any help. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would. Sell yourself, but be honest about what you can do: basic Cisco router administration.

I'd probably draw the line there. :D

I list what I'm "experienced" with and what I'm simply "familiar" with. Just be honest about what you can do, and you should be fine. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi Sparky,

What about a sort of general phrasing of your experience and "scope", like... I dunno... "has experience of administrating a" type of thing.

That way you're not selling yourself short, but you're not trying to make yourself look like you've got more knowledge and experience than you've got. (Is that the sort of thing that you're worried about?)

That way if you've used to lots of different topologies and the like you're not filling your CV up with so much stuff that a potential employer's going to stop reading through it.

I try and keep my CV down to 2 pages max, so on some early career stuff I've just put down 1 or 2 lines.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheers guys.

I’m just trying to get the balance right on my CV so I don’t undersell myself but at the same time there is no BS.

Rewording the CV just now... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs