CV help please :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jvanassen, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Since passing my A+ exam i have been applying for some 1st line support/helpdesk jobs but without any IT experience I havent had much luck. So i have wrote out a cover letter and CV to send into some local computer shops that take on home user troubleshooting etc in some hope in gaining more experience. My first CV i wrote out just ended up with the personal statement being a story with details on achievements in retail and customer service which i then thought to myself that IT employers probably aren't going to care about so ive completly took them off the CV and deleted alot of pointless babbling & detail. Anyway ive rewrote it now and am just looking for anyway i can improve it some more

Thanks for your help

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. jvanassen

P.S. or do you think trying to get experience in a local computer shop is pointless and i should just get my Network+ passed and continue applying for the helpdesk jobs?

Thanks in advance :)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Apply for first line jobs as well mate.

Local computer shops are not big business and rarely have openings.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums Jason.

Nice to see another SEEVIC student 8) I was 2004-2006.

I'd like to confirm what Sparky has said, apply for firstline/helpdesk roles now. If you've done the A+, and have experience dealing with customers then you are more than experienced for most firstline roles. Just widen your scope and try bigger companies who generally have more opportunities for junior roles.

Secondly, shorten your CV. You get from 9-20 seconds from any recruiter looking to find a person for a role, make sure you have all the keywords and don't fill in with so much babble - save that for the interview.

From my experience, I always keep my introduction to 4-5 lines, title being 'current situation' so it explains:

- Enthusiastic individual, educated to X level
    - Looking for X type role
    - Why moving on/looking for role
    - Current self-studying for x/y/z

Then cut the details of why you got a job and why he can't pay you etc...they don't want to read a story, but will ask in an interview why are you moving on.
    - company name, position held, time of position, what you did in 3-5 bullet points

then debatable, but I'd remove the last bit (nationality, driving licence, even hobbies/interests). If they want to know those questions, it will pop up either in the job spec (ie: needs to drive), or the interview.

With all the employment laws, knowing your age, nationality just puts employers off. They don't want to get persuaded by those details or they face legal action.

Finally, tailor each covering letter for each job you apply for. If you know the company, find out unique details to include into the letter. For example, my current job had the company slogan included inside the covering letter (Making a Real Difference is quite easy to get in though :p )

Good luck!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. jvanassen

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Another SEEVIC lad, I see your only local aswell lol, small world.

Yea in terms of experience that's what a friend said to me, that I should be able to pick up a 1st line support job with the A+ an my customer service experience but just haven't had much luck as of yet, applied for plenty but only had the one interview. Maybe il get some more with this improved CV, fingers crossed. At the moment I'm just applying for jobs I see on agency websites. When you say apply for bigger companys do you mean just sent letters into company's ask if there are any jobs available?

I can see what your saying about the hobbies and interest section as the only IT interview I have had they did actually ask me that in the interview even though it's on my CV, like you say it's more of an interview question.

6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

You could target companies, or just look for a wider scope. As long as you're looking further than your front step of local computer repair shops.

Obviously try the usual IT job sites:

IT Jobs: UK Contract and Permanent IT Jobs | The IT Job Board UK
    IT jobs: UK IT job board | Permanent & contract IT careers at CWJobs
    More jobs, more choice at reed.co.uk, the UK
    Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling | Monster Job Site

LinkedIn is a very good site to find a job, especially if you start following people you work with. My current job was found on LinkedIn, a friend knew the employer and put in a good word. It didn't promise me the job, but it definitely helps put a reputation forward before you even get into the interview 8)

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Oh, and if you're willing to travel - London has plenty of jobs, thats where I headed too and I'm still getting 10-30 job alerts a day for 1st line/helpdesk/it support ranging from £15-26k

8. jvanassen

lol Yea don't worry I have been looking further afield than that, I had applied for plenty of helpdesk jobs but just had the one interview so far. Managed to get that bit of experience work with a local guy through a friend so I redid my cv with that added. Will take some of your advice and edit it a bit more tonight aswell, so thanks for that. The only reason i was considering sending my cv into some local shops was because i was getting a bit dishartened seeing loads of job applications but they all wanted experienced people. But its probably a waste of time and am better off sticking at applying for the bigger companys jobs.

I'm signed up to about 5 popular job agency websites at the moment and have my CV on them, I look on them every couple of days for jobs. I havent used Job board or Linkedin so will check them out tonight, thanks!

I'm more than happy to travel to London, like you say have seen loads online this morning advertised on Job serve and for once there not just looking for experienced people.