CV Help needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Grim-83, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

I've been applying for 1st, 2nd and deskside support roles for the past year. Trying to get into a full time IT role and not just self-employed jobs every now and again. Could any one give me a few pointers on my cv please (I've read the other post on this subject and already have do those points).

Thanks for your time to those who have a look (:

View attachment CV 25-01-2013.doc

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
  2. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Pastime not past time

Try to lose a page - start by getting rid of the logos at the end

Take out the lorry loader, it is not relevant and the time is covered by other things.

"In a small Team, Design and implement a small office network." - double useage of work small and irelevant anyway. Size isn't everything, don't mark yourself down. If an employer wants to know how big let them ask.

[Exam not taken] - take those out. It shows a lack of commitment and that you are not prepared to see things through

"most recently spending a month in Switzerland" - not sure that is good. A prospective employer might worry you will take loads of time off. Do you speak any languages, that will help.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Microsoft certifications are not post-nominals, so remove the MCP, MCTS from under your name.

Try never to use "I", "I'm" or "I've"; always write in the 3rd person if possible and don't abbreviate in any case - this isn't a novel or email. Think you mean 'abductive reasoning' & that would be an "advanced level..."

Remove the [Exam not taken]; you're just stating the courses you have taken, which is much more important.

Hmmm, not sure about the private work - you will have to specify the name of the company as, if you were being paid you are required to pay VAT, so it would be a legit business.
    If you have no company and it was cash in hand, you're going to have to lose that and quickly!

You may as well remove the link as CV's are generally printed. And yes, lose the logos too, or, if you really feel you do want something like that, make one smaller and put it at the top.

Not sure how others would feel about it, but I find "tower systems" rather an amaturish term. When speaking about PC's these are generally termed "Desktops" or "Laptops". But I'll leave that one up to you...

Your Key Skills is too long a list and can definitely be stripped down to essentials . "Book binding" & "Use of hand-held scanners"? Seriously??

It's certainly not dreadful but needs a little more work...

HTH.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...