CV feedback/criticism, career advice needed ; ) Also further cert path questions..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by skyfor3, Feb 7, 2013.

1. skyfor3

skyfor3 New Member

Hi Guys ; )

I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts, opinions or advices related to my circumstances.
    I will upload my CV and want to ask you to please let me know if something catch your eye in a wrong way.. or if I need to
    revise something. Will really appreciate your attention.

I'm looking for IT job and I'm ready to relocate or to sacrifice for it.
    Applied for lots of IT helpdesk support positions around my location. I never had experience in this sort of job and struggling
    that is why I tried to apply only for 1st line or sometimes 1st/2nd and others like IT field technician or Engineer.

I had a stable job but wasn't satisfied with it.. I wanted a shift back to IT. By the way I am from Latvia and had all
    my first jobs in IT, which were computer store administration, internet cafe admin and I was fixing, supporting private
    people locally via local newspaper ad as additional income. In UK I had a few different jobs not in IT.
    During I was in those employments I got A+, finished a IT technician course in collage and with help of that got 2 quals from MS,
    MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration and with passing 70-685 I am now MCITP.
    So.. back to beginning of this paragraph ; ) .. I wanted to try my chances. I've applied for a laptop repairs Engineer, passed bench test
    and got it through agency. After working just for a few weeks they've laid off people and me as well. I'am in search again : )
    I thought any kind of entry level IT support job would be a desirable goal for my future but I just can't get any..
    I know I have skills for Break/fix, repair kind of jobs but there is not a lot of them around. For that job where I was repairing laptops
    I was driving 38 miles, but I don't mind if job is worth it.
    Maybe it's not suitable to mention but I also thought could it be because it's just harder for foreign people to get through..

Now I've started to think that maybe when you apply for helpdesk positions employers expect you to have AD, MS Server knowledge..
    and could it be the case with me.. ? Experience of course as well but I don't have it.
    I've started looking at Windows Server Administration Fundamentals EXAM 98-365 MTA
    and Exam 70-686: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator
    From your point of view is that the best path on current stage for a individual like me who pursue career in IT Support ?
    Or maybe you would recommend something completely different ?
    What is the best way to get practice on server? just playing at home with virtual machines?
    Is there any other or how to get hand on exp ?

Anyways ; ) thanks to everyone for effort finishing reading my post : ) and hope you can leave comments about CV, certs I've mentioned
    or anything from your personal experience/competence what you think is relevant to share? Advises more than welcome! : )

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+,MCTS,MCITP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

First thing I would do is have a read of my thread here which gives you a couple of CV templates as well as the do's and don'ts of getting into IT.

Secondly, your CV is lacking a lot of IT related information and that's why you're not getting much of a look in, I know it's hard but do consider expanding on your last IT role and any customer facing skills you have.

Next would be to perhaps drop the MCITP off the CV, you don't have a lot of commercial experience and seeing an MCITP on a CV without the relevent experience to back it up would definitely work against you if I saw your CV.

In my experience, 1st line guys don't need to have AD or MS Server skills, yes it's a good idea to know what they are but for the most part all you're likely to be doing is resetting passwords in AD and perhaps creating accounts, you're not going to be deep diving AD replication issues or Sites and Services at all so don't rush in.

Finally I would look at Service Desk type roles (everyone needs to do that kind of work, it's a career ladder starting point for the most part), they give you exposure to the customer, to the different teams and an understanding of ITIL (the Service Desk is the Point of Contact for the client and the teams dealing with their issues).

Don't dispair about finding work, it's tough out there at the moment but with the right CV and mindset you can find work out there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Like Simon said, it may not be too easy getting the ideal job straight away. You may need to go down the route of getting a Service Desk job first to gain an entry point into the IT help desk world.

I can relate to this quite well, I was in the exact same position as you about a year ago. My first job was in a call centre for an ISP doing 'Technical support' which really wasn't that technical. More of lets say a process... :) but... It leads to better things once you have some experience, and the money will come with more experience.

Stick at it, in time you will get where you want to be.

All the best,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  4. skyfor3

skyfor3 New Member

Thanks guys for reply!
    It is real pleasure to see that someone unknown to me have a desire to
    answer questions here and to cheer up : ))
    By the way I've red that article before but another go refreshed it : )
    I've made changes in CV, expanded a bit on what you have advised.
    Will be researching and plan to take ITIL Foundation.
    Even Service Desk positions "scares" me by it's requirements sometimes
    and I see it quite often:

Job Title Service Desk Analyst (sorry can't post links)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It would be advantageous if you have knowledge of VMWare 4 & 5 using VSphere,
    Windows Server 2003/2008 administration, Exchange 2003/2007 as well as good
    technical knowledge of Networks, PC's and Thin Client.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because of descriptions like this in help desk and 1st line support I
    had a idea that I need to get some more certs.

I thought I also need to do something about that my work experience does
    not relate to any customer service skills/call answering in UK, maybe to take
    receptionist, admin job somewhere even if it will not be in IT?
    It is not a retreat ; ) I just can't be looking and not working long financially...
    Got you about MS certifications, dropping off idea about Enterprise Desktop Administrator cert.
    Will only leave MTA in my path list.

I will not dispair ; )

Certifications: A+,MCTS,MCITP
  5. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Personal Profile
    Not positve enough - "you will make a positive contribution"
    "You will be an asset"

Key Skills - Management skills
    Where did you get these, there is no mention of a management possition or duties in th jobs you have done.

I'd take out the personal interests. It doesn't tell me anything

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003