CV Advice ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, May 7, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi All,

I've taken the step (reluctantly!) to change my CV from a 2 pages to 3 Pages as i was running out of room. I'm considering moving jobs if my pay reveiw this month isnt "acceptable".

If any of you have 2 minutes to have a look at my CV on the net (its in PDF format)

here

I would be very greatful. Any suggestions would be welcome on things to add, remove or change.

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but i'd be more than happy to do the same for anyone here in the future. If you decide to visit my website, please dont laugh as it is only something i whipped together last year for my job hunt!!

:roll: :lol:

Better dash, the PSU on our main firewall just blew...

BANG!! :cry:

Cheers guys and girls!

:D

EDIT: Notice the promo for certforums on the 3rd page..... :wink:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Very nice, Matt :)

Nice plug as well (only thing is you spelt "advice" as "advise" :oops: )

Makes mine look insignifacant in comparison.

:D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well spotted Gav, thanks for that its aprreciated...

I'll change that spelling as soon as i get a chance!

I'd be grateful to know what some of the others here think 2...

I'm looking to move towards the people management side of IT rather than the nuts and bolts... Anything people think i could do to improve the chance of that (with the CV)?

Cheers :D

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Matt

The way I read your bit about your OU degree it would suggest that you have aleady hold it - a tad miss leading :!: (You should love studing with the OU they are great.) In my profile I state that I am an OU student working towards a BSc a future employer sees that I am working toward it but do not hold it. In my qualifications I list all current and past courses.

Edit

Had a quick look at your website Matt - your heads referance says "Private and Confidential"? Have you his pemission to post it on the web? There are Data Protection and Copyrite issues here :!: :!:

P.S - Name the Degree you want a "Named" BA or a BA.

5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks for taking the time to read the CV sandy.... appreciated! :D

Yeah i think i might revise the section about the OU degree, make it a bit clearer that i PLAN to study for it !!

I'll probably leave courses i've gone on out, as i havent been on many! (stingy employers!)

Thanks again... :D

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unless the standards for CVs are different in the UK than the US, I'd suggest you lose the DOB, Hobbies, Volunteer work, strengths and references. The DOB identifies your age and it might cost you a job before you even interview if they decide you're too young right out of the box. Hobbies, volunteer work, strengths and stuff is what you can tell them if they ask in the interview but it tends to take up space in a CV needlessly. I'd recommend sticking with the information directly relevant to the job. It is implied that references are available on request (you don't even have to put that phrase on the CV anymore). If they interview you and like you and want to check your references, they'll ask and you can have a list handy to give them. Just my two centavos worth.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Matt

Keep the courses in :!: They show that you are getting some training :!: At interview you can say that these were that these were the ones you have been given via work they can draw their own conclusions. My last employer sent me on Zero courses in two years, I am lucky I now get about 20 days training a year :P

It is always good to ask what sort of external training you can expect as part of the job. At interview ask if they say none then you can draw your own conclusions :idea:

8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Trip, thanks for reading my CV. I think there are lots of differences between the UK and US versions of CV's.

I'd hope the technical sections of my CV will get me on a shortlist, and i hope the other sections will give the interviewers a little more info to ponder over when they are down to 4 or 5 CV's.

Well thats what i hope to achieve anyway! Thanks mate... :)

I'll agree on the DOB, i'm going to have to consider if i take it out or leave it in. As well as hindering me because of my age, taking it out might hinder me because they dont know how old i am and cant be bothered to risk it?

mmmm.... :roll: :)

Sandy, that sounds good but i've only really been on 1 course and that was for Network+. All of my certs have been self study and my experience gained "on the job".

20 days per year sounds great. I need to get myself in a company that treats people that well! Also i'll be sure to ask those questions if and when! :D

Any one else have any thoughts? :roll: 8)

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good. Now get over to the Wireless QOTD and vote before it expires. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+