CV advice please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by J.Hinds, Feb 18, 2011.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Hi guys and girls,

I have been applying for entry level IT positions near on everyday for about two maybe three months now, and although I have had a couple of interviews and a few phone calls I can't help but thinking there must be something majorly wrong with my CV. I know my personal statement needs abit of tweaking but I'm not really sure how to word it at the moment, other than that I don't really have any proper experience in the field. Do you think that is the reason why i'm not getting far? Is it the current climate making it difficult? Or am I just being impatient....

Either way I know my CV definitely needs adjusting, so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~ Jai ~

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi J.Hinds,

You would find it useful by reading through all the similar related post under training and empolyment as theres loads of info that would shed light on how to draft your CV etc. All the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Few things i've noticed - which i wouldn't necessarily put on mine (Please note this is a personal opinion)

"answering queries face to face and over the telephone and making the best cocktails known to man" - this sounds more as if you're talking to a friend, rather than a prospective employer

Please tell me you made up the email sexybeast at googlemail.com just to put on there for reviewing purposes!? lol :mrgreen: if not, get one setup with your actual name in :p

"September 2009 to present - freelance PC & laptop repairs" - describe it more in depth, explain what you have experience with and try to relate it to a job description - what technologies you know, i.e dhcp, lan, tcp/ip etc.

I'm sure some of the other chaps here who deal with CV's on a more regular basis may be able to help more :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Hmm.. thanks for pointing that out, not sure if I like the idea of sounding like I'm talking to a friend or not. :blink

Nah that's my actual e-mail address, and pet name to the Mrs.... :biggrin

Yeah I know what you mean here, I have tried in the skills section but I think it looks like I'm just trying to stuff as much info as possible in.. and that can't be a good thing can it? I may try and have another go though, as it doesn't really say alot does it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You definitely need a professional e-mail address. It might seem "boring", but jhinds@_______ would be MUCH better. Keep your "sexybeast" on a leash for your wife. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!