CV Advice.. employment gaps!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mynameismax, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mynameismax

mynameismax New Member

First of all apologies if this topic has already been exhausted, but it is quite a specific question.

I'm writing my first proper IT CV and despite numerous rewrites there's one thing I can't seem to get right.. or find any useful information on. To get to the point, there is a 1 year gap in my employment history where I went to university. I completed that year and didn't go back a) because the uni was a disorganized slumhole with lecturers that didn't give a **** and b) my financial situation became really really dire and I didn't qualify for help (but it's mainly the first one). How could I put this in my CV? I realise the problem is if you say you dropped out of uni, the first thing an employer is gonna think is 'this guy just got pissed all the time and failed his exams' or something along those lines.

What's more, do I mention this in between my current job, and my last job, or wait till another point on my CV?

I really hope you can help, i'm really stuck.

Cheers

Max

p.s the degree wasn't IT related

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You don't have to put on your CV that you dropped out of university, just put on the CV that you went to university and if the question is asked during the interview why you only spent 1 year at university, just tell them why, but don't mention that in your opinion the university was rubbish, just say that you had financial difficulties but didn't qualify for help and that's the reason you left.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009