current recession

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Sep 4, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep very true, I still say that even in Third Line stuff, more than 40% is not about Technical Ability but still about how you present yourself, attitude and apptitude.

There is no way I would have gotten my current role without those.

Don't get me wrong, I get stuck technically frequently and have to ask questions, but this is nearly always on technology I haven't used, or do not know the customers infrastructure fully (or more likely it hasn't been documented). Thats what happens when you are supporting 400+ clients.

For example the other day, I get passed a call with everyones iPhone will recieve emails but won't send emails. They think its been like this for around three weeks or so.

I haven't even used an iPhone and haven't setup any Active Sync phones, as I have always used BlackBerrys for business applications.

But I do know it goes over OWA, so the first step was to login to the companies OWA and make sure that was all coolio before I called the customer back. So step 1 was to find out is it a self signed cert or purchased, so into IIS and I found out the URL and its a purchased cert.

Once into the OWA page, it looks a bit strange and I realise they aren't using Form Based Authentication, so I turn that on and restart all the necessary services.

I can login fine as Admin and everything looks OK. So I call the customer and they state they can recieve, but not send emails. I ask them to read out all the current settings to me and I find out they are recieveing via IMAP on Port 143 and sending on SMTP on 587.

I'm thinking WTF, is going on here why aren't they using 80 or 443? So I logon to there SonicWall Router/Firewal and its crazy, there ar more rules than a game of rugby in this thing. With 80and 443 forwarding to some web based application they use. So I reboot the thing and call back the client to check to see if that made any difference and it didn't.

This is where I started using google and found out that this is a regular problemo with iPhones and they can have Primary an Secondary SMTP servers which can cause conflicts, and also the recent 3.0 firmware. So again, I phone the customer back and remove all current settings and reboot the phone. Still no joy, I'm thinking dang iPhones.

This is where I consulted one of the Senior System Engineers (I'm a System Engineer) who mainly do all project work, things such as migrations, upgrades, new client network health checks etc. I told him what I had done so far and if he had any ideas. They are always happy to lend a hand as long as you have done all the ground work or if they know its a technology you have not used before.

He said check Exchange on the SMTP Virtual Server to see if the Allow Traffic To Pass If Authenticated was ticked rather than an IP range only.

It wasn't, ticked that badboy, and restarted Exchange Server and voila the iPhone started working.

Not sure who unticked it or why, but sometimes you need a little help :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It sounds like you only have one published IP at that site and the guys have had to change ports to get things to work. It can get messy very quickly when you have to do that! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Tell me about it mate!

Took me quite a while to get my head round why it had even been done that way in the first place. Apparently they have a web based application that uses requires all HTTP and HTTPS traffic forwarded to it

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Sorry yet another reason why I like IT. When you come across something you've never seen before (happens quite a lot) and you then have to investigate it using experience, peers, technet and google :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

--------------> his comment

--------------> your head

yyyeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrroooowwww!!!!!! :p

ahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahhah!!! :biggrin

Google "Nigerian scammers". Somewhere above the listings that point to you, you'll see what he's talking about.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!