current recession

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

any body finding it hard to find any motivation to study at the moment due to the current job situation especially as there has been cut backs in i.t positions as well !

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It is all a bit depressing - but the way I look at it, if you haven't got a job to go to, it's an ideal time to be studying.
    Make the most of it.
    The recession will end eventually and something else will take it's place so just do your best to be ready for it.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

No, not really, if anything it makes me work even harder on certification.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've gone the opposite way to be honest. I've studied like a lunatic all year with hardly any time off and the way the job markets looking I'm glad I did/am. I swapped employers this year too so I guess I'm trying to go against the trend. I've got my own reasons for staying motivated tho. I became a daddy in March and turned 30 in August so to be honest, whilst I'm very very happy with my career I felt its time for a change. I'm currently a jack of all trades running a team of jacks working on various contracts. I've got my sights set on a very specific highly paid role so whilst I've found it hard to maintain my 20 hours + a week of study, I only have to look at my little boy and I'm right back up there. I just want the best I can for my family basically.

I see what you're saying tho, very troubling times, but just be a lunatic like me and study your ass off. Even if it doesn't get you any further in your career, you'll feel great for pushing yourself and proud of everything you've learned.

Just my 2 cents

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

As a recent graduate with a lot of debt yes - and its made me think twice about which areas of IT i would like to be in. I never planned to do postgrad but once you have a degree with the rest of the sheep and now fighting along with the sheep who dont have jobs and more experience you got to think again. So hence I thought to move into something not many sheep have. :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would an unstable job market cause you to have LESS motivation to study? In truth, it ought to give you MORE motivation!! After all, if something were to happen so you lose your job, you'll NEED those certifications to make your resume stand head-and-shoulders above the competition!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael

Not many sheep have a postgrad degree because it's not required - or necessarily desired - for techie work until you get enough experience to get to the upper levels.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so says im staying with the techie side of work and not considering becoming an academic? and its a totally different field from MS and Cisco etc i.e not techie so even if i want to work in industry I still can...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Not really. One has to keep himself/herself busy somehow. I'll be graduating this year from the University with a major in Information and Communications Technology (B.Tech). Do have a decent job though with a M$ partner organization here in Nigeria. That notwithstanding, am still pretty tied up with studies "generally". :D

At the 2009 Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC09) held at New Orleans, CEO Steve Ballmer noted "that we’re not so much in an economic recession as an economic reset. IT will drive the renewal."
    Hope the above statement motivates you.

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  10. BosonMichael

If you're switching to an academic field, then you'd be fine going with a Masters. But switching back to being a tech could be somewhat problematic... and I speak from experience on that one, as I had four years on the academic side before jumping back out into the "real world" again as a network admin.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Probably best not to tell them about how you obtained your MS certs then huh?

The mind boggles

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Does your organisation happen to employ several Nigerian princes who have loads of money but need a deposit to get access to it?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. oush

oush Byte Poster

To be honest I dont really belive that there are a shortage of IT jobs, i'm currently in employment and during the past 3 weeks of applying for jobs and attending interviews I have had several job offers which I have turned down as I did not like the structures of the company, but I have found one at last and having a 2nd interview next week. It all really depends on your experiance / certs and the area of IT which you are in!!! Networks, Voice and Linux are still fairly high in demand and there are no shortage of jobs for them. Perhaps you need to read through yoru CV again?

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

TBF to the OP, he's looking at entry or low-level positions, for which there is a ridiculous oversubscription. Once you get beyond first/second line there are still loads of jobs out there - I could walk out of mine and into another one tomorrow if I wanted.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. oush

oush Byte Poster

ahh didnt realise it was entry level jobs :P entry level jobs are near impossible in the current market :S unless your willing to take any job and try and worm your way in with the IT guys, which is what most people are attempting these days. Good luck to the op though.

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Ahh 'studies', that's what dumping is called now.

Here are some statements from someone else at Microsoft that motivate me and many others here, pay close attention ... They were by Peggy Crowley (anti-piracy program manager for the Microsoft Learning department)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Sorry, but I don't think I follow your question. You can PM me though,so we don't get to derail the thread.

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  18. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

thanks guys, did not explain myself properly but meant an entry level position !

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I can only echo the words of JK.

I started out in IT in June 2008, finding a job in 1st Line within two weeks. After this I was seconded to 2nd Line within two months. At the end of June 2009, started my new position in 3rd Line support.

Have I noticed any difficulties in this market, nope.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You've done fantastically well Carigie both on and off the pitch (in work and in certs). Your career shows what I like most about IT. You can rocket up the ranks really quickly if you are determined and capable enough. My friend works in pensions and had to work for years to move up grades . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs