Crunch Time.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Treks, May 19, 2007.

1. Treks

Treks Bit Poster

I really should have anticipated something like this.

I have recently been welcomed back in to the fold of CertForums (thanks to everyone that has posted in my "Welcome" thread!) and have almost immediately hit a potential wall.

The only MCP I have earned as of right now is 70-210 Windows 2000 Professional. I have earned CompTIA A+ as well, which I have heard rumours to be considered credit toward MCSE certification.

So as I understand the situation, I have until March 2008 to take three exams to hit MCSA status, and then upgrade to 2003. Is that right?

I have already spent a small fortune on this course, so it's time for a decision. Do I continue with certification or do I cut my losses and run with my Windows 2000 Professional MCP?

Also, how much longer is my 70-210 MCP going to be worth anything?

And please, be candid!

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: Windows 2000 Pro MCP, CompTIA A+
    WIP: 70-215, Win 2K Server
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you put the work in you should have enough time to do it mate.

You could just start on the 2003 route though and list your 2k certs on your CV as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Treks

Treks Bit Poster

It's a time factor more than anything else - well, perhaps except for the cash!

I would love to be able to devote myself to it but since starting the course I've become a father twice over and time is at a premium!

Thanks for you comment, though - I do want it.

Certifications: Windows 2000 Pro MCP, CompTIA A+
    WIP: 70-215, Win 2K Server
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you want to continue the cert route then maybe just start over on Server 2003? You will have much more time and the 2k cert will still have value on your CV.

If you aim to upgrade and don’t make it before the exams are retired then you will be back to square one in regard to the MCSA.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's up to you whether you think you can do the exams before they're retired. If you can, I'd recommend it. The MCSA on Win2K will look good next to your MCSA on Win2K3. ;)

How much longer will your 70-210 MCP be worth something? Until the last company in the world gets rid of Windows 2000 Professional. The company I just left STILL has some Win2K workstations in use... and one company I supported in 2006 still had two Windows NT 4 servers for their domain controllers!!! So I'm quite sure that your Win2K knowledge and certification will be useful for years to come.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!