Creating an iso from .img

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by TimoftheC, May 9, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I've started this thread in the Virtual Computing forum as it is directly linked to my trying out Virtual PC 2004.

Been looking at this for a while and have finally gotten round to installing it and trying it out. I've signed up for a 120 day free trial of Windows Server 2003 so I can set up a virtual network, problem is, I can't burn the damn software :(

The server 2003 software is made available by windows in two files - both of which are .img files - see here.

It seems that you need some third party software to make the files useful and the only one that I can find is MagicISO, which I have to pay for to be able to do the required burn. I have tried ISORecorder and DeepBurner (both free) to try and create the disks but to no avail - and I'm a bit crap at this type of thing.

Anybody know of a simple solution for me?

I have read some old articles about using Nero to crate an iso from a .img file but my version of Nero6 does not seem to let me do this - HELP

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Tim,

Have you tried Active ISO burner?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It can be confusing, but what i do is just open *Nero*, close all the wizards, go to File > Open, browse to and select the iso image, click ok and it should allow you to burn it to a CD/DVD.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I had actually never run across a .img file rather than a .iso file so I was curious how my favorite burner software would handle it. So, I downloaded one of the .img files in question, told k3b I wanted to burn an image file, and it burnt it without a question. It's a bootable disk too as I checked to see if a computer could boot from the image.

Funny how often open source software is more usable, and user friendly, than proprietary software.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think that blanket statement always holds true Freddy :rolleyes:

6. ffreeloader

Ummm... That wasn't a blanket statement, Bluerinse. I said, "often times". That's not saying every time, but many times.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I asked about this a while ago when setting up vpc with server 2003 I used daemon tool lite to do it, you dont even need to burn it to a disc to work either.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True, i misread it Freddy, sorry about that :oops:

9. ffreeloader

No biggie. I'll let you kiss my big toe to atone for your mistake.... :twisted: :biggrin

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um.. I'll take a raincheck on that offer if you don't mind :eek:

11. ffreeloader

Whew! **wipes sweat from brow** I was afraid you would take me up on it.... :biggrin

12. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

I've never understood why Microsoft offer their ISOs with an 'img' extension, but the solution is so simple you're going to kick yourself....

All you need to do is edit the filename and change the extension to '.iso'. Then you can mount it or burn it using any of the normal tools.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  13. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Confirmed. I just downloaded both images, renamed them to .iso and was able to mount them as virtual cd's.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  14. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

YOU ARE JOKING!!!!

I can't believe it was that easy, just renamed the files with a .iso extension and burned them to CD :D

zcarp - many thanks for the tip, was exactly what I needed :thumbleft

Thanx for all the other responses as well, especially the mental image of Freddies naked toe - gona live with that forever now :twisted:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

In the future if you want to save on the cost of CD you can use deamon tools lite which is free, you can set it so the it creates a virtual bootable CD and converts the .img to .iso then you can boot from this virtual disc and you only need to click a button to do it :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  17. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

heres the easier one than renameing the files, when you open virtual pc....where it says file type ".img" change it to "*.* All files" and just select the image, it works fine.

M$ just like to be awquard.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  18. ffreeloader

It's even easier in k3b. Just choose "Burn Image", browse to the file to burn from the wizard that pops up, and k3b does the rest. No renaming of files, nothing. You just get a bootable cd.

19. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Thats not EASIER
    if you have an image file you dont need a physical piece of media, so why actually create one and claim its 'easier'

and as for .img files just being awkward, I recently downloaded a LINUX image that is a bloody .img file, and its not a simple rename job, so now i have to find a piece of software (plenty of free, but cant find any FOSS for windows yet) to convert the .img to .iso so I can mount it on my ESX box, thats if it turns out to even be a CD image and not some weird native thing
    goooooo figure!
    :)

Guess I'll just use the liveCD iso for my demo hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0