Craigie's Exchange 2007 Blog

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by craigie, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL... I had similar experience dealing with them on SQL 2005 issue I had a few months back!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

7 hours later and we are still going...

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

ohh I've spent 4 days with them and actually figured the issue on my own on the fourth day! I had to explain the fix to the microsoft guy so he can take notes lol... this also happened with HP when I was setting up HP SIM 3.5...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Migrating are we? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well the migration was doing by one of the Field Engineers, I get the remnants to sort out.

I said to the MS person, can't we just export the Public Folders to PST and reimport them, they said no can't do that.

So we agreed they could carry on and I would watch them via RDP. Low and behold 6 hours later they do exactly what I mentioned, but apparently they had to rebuild the old Public Folder store before they could export.

I confirmed access to Public Folders and then deleted the Mailbox Storage Group, Public Folder Store and Intra Organization Connectors on the SBS2003 Box.

We have a Field Engineer going to site tomorrow for some other jobs, so they will uninstall Exchange 2003.

Trying to get some studying done now, we are on Chapter 11 Reporting :biggrin

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well it has been a while since I have posted, Chapter 11, was Reporting, looking at things such as Baseline Analyzer and it bangs on about MOM alot.

Anyways, I have been working on the backup's and disaster recovery. Using the faithful old NTBackup to backup everything in my lab and then perform recoverys using RSG.

One the of the strange things that I have noticed is that after you have restored a database to a RSG, you have to repair it first before it will mount.

Not tried this is a production environment, because on the whole we have brick level restores.

7. Sparky

Not sure how your field engineer has done the migration but it you do a side by side migration you only need to replicate the public folders to the new Exchange Server and then move the public folder instances.

Its sounds like you may be moving between Windows domains here.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It was SBS 2003 to 2008, the Field Engineer used the migration wizard. The end of the conversation with MS was that the Public Folders had become corrupted.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well I have finished the book!

So it's time to rebuild my lab from scratch. This time rather than use my laptop, I'm using my ML 115, I have setup so far:

AIT01 - Server 2008 64Bit Enterprise Edition

Server Roles

- Domain Controller
    - DHCP
    - DNS
    - File Server
    - Hyper V
    - RRAS (So I can access it from work!)

Configured the Logical Hard Drives as follows:

- C: Drive has the OS 50GB
    - E: Drive has Roaming Profiles, User Data and Network Drives 50GB
    - V: Drive has Virtual Machines for Hyper V 200GB

AIT02 - Server 2008 64Bit Enterprise Edition (2GB RAM)

Server Roles

- AD Domain Services
    - IIS

Exchange 2007 64Bit

Currently installing it with the following:

- Hub Transport
    - Client Access
    - Mailbox

Then I have to go through all the configuration. I might if time prevails lash in a Edge Transport Server.

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well I have just finished the installation on Server 2008 R2, yes that's right R2, which is not supported!

After a bit of tinkering, it failed on the Mailbox Role, however if you extract all of the ISO files and then perform the following:

- Run Setup.exe in Vista SP2 mode, it will then installl all roles and fail on Mailbox.
    - Install Rollup 9 for Exchange 2007 SP1 and reboot
    - Run Setup.exe in normal Admin mode
    - Reboot and then edit the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem

and create a Working Directory which points to the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\MDBTEMP

- Ran setup.exe in Vista SP2 mode as Administrator and voila all installed.

Need to do the configurations in a while.

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just an FYI chaps don't try and upgrade Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP2 on Server 2008, it has a wobbly and fallls over.

So I have rebuilt my lab and reconfigured everthing from scratch so that should stand me in good sted for my exam.

Onwards and upwards with more revising.

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

MOM (and now SCOM) are very useful you know, wouldn't hurt to understand how it works in a business environment.

I watched through the whole of CBT Nuggets (for the associated 70-400 exam) last week, and they're highly recommended.

Qs

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. Sparky

Just done that on a live server, tooks ages!

14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What you upgraded to Exchange 2007 SP2 on Server 2008 R2?

If so mate, your a braver man then I :)

15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

hrm... sticky's a little bit old eh?

Craigie: How's Exchange 2010 going for you these days mate ;) ? Did you set up those two multi-role servers we talked about? Hope it's been fun for you. Luckily CPU usage was just 11% with a SPECInt2006 rate value of 60 on those boxes (for the MBX role), as my current customer got some new dual socket, 12 core AMD's and their SPECint2006 rate is a meager 16 per core... a far cry from the 32 I had with another customer running considerably faster Intel Xeon's. Almost made a boo-boo in my initial calculations by using a rate of 30 per core, until I received the real hardware details from the guy who did the order :eek: But it was all good in the end :biggrin

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM