CPU

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rob1234, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi

In the Mike Meyers book he goes into detail about each type of CPU with information such as process, watts, external and internal speed range, cache size and other things do I need to learn all this information for each of the CPU's or do I need to learn just a few things like socket and cache size.

Thanks

Certifications: A few.
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO some of the detail is more than I think the A+ is looking for.

It is difficult to suggest just what to 'leave out' as there are no really obvious guidelines from CompTIA about this, which is no doubt why they are in the book!

In the real world you can look things up, and some processor families these days are so complex there is no way you are going to remember all the details.

I'd say that the important thing is to know the various sockets used, and roughly which families go with each one. And also a rough idea of what sort of speed ranges you get.

This will allow you to realize that when a question has as one of it's options a 1GHz Pentium 1 then this is probably not the right answer!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

From my experience I'd learn the cache sizes as well or at least have a rough idea of the size of the L1 and L2 cache, things like the pentiums being 32bit and what packages they came in ( PGA, SEC, SEP, PAC, OLGA etc)

I wouldn't worry about things like specific things like 3Dnow! that appeared on certain CPU's or how many pipeline they had...

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  4. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

From my experience, this is what you should definitely know:

- Sockets for each
    - Cache size and types (MM mentions that there is even a L3 cache which is found on high-end CPUs like Intel Xeon & Itanium)
    - Bit speed of each CPU
    - And MOST of all: Clockspeed of each!

These are ALL you need to know about CPUs. Most importantly, just make sure you know the sockets and clockspeeds of each. The others are rare, but possible chances of coming.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270