CPU Is Always 100% !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deepdale11, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Or use the Fox :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Just to add what d-Faktor has said, on the heading bar that reads [Image Name][PID][CPU][CPU Time][Memory], you can also click the heading [CPU Time] to sort the processes from high CPU Time process down to low CPU Time process. Click the heading again to sort from low CPU Time process to high CPU Time process.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For the original question I would check the spec of the PC and see if it can run Windows 2000 without falling over. After that runs some spyware scans and perhaps run ‘Hijack this’ and post it here (as an attachment!) so we can have a look. There could be something lurking in the background.

Zimbo, as for Norton being ‘useless’ I don’t think its that bad but I agree that sometimes it lets some viruses through the net. I have migrated a few networks from Norton to NOD32 so I have experience of using both products. One thing you have not mentioned about NOD32 is the ridiculous amount of log files in creates on the server, what was the technical supports response? Downgrade! Also I got a phone call at 7am a few weeks ago from a customer saying that their Exchange server had crashed as the Exchange Services had stopped. Not a big deal but as time went on that day each customer that was running NOD32 on Exchange had their server crash. Not a good day! :blink

Each to their own though and I still prefer NOD32 over Norton. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Windows 2000 Pro does not consume much processor time when it is idle. I usually see system idle process at 99% if I am not actually running anything CPU intensive.

This sounds to me like a malware issue to but without knowing which process is hogging the CPU time, it's impossible to diagnose properly.

I have heard lots of very positive things about NOD32 but I haven't tried it yet but I will in the not to distant future. It is an Australian product I believe, hence it should win some medals if there is a competition :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

They not aussie they slovak: :blink

Wiki 1
    Wiki 2.

EDIT: dont you mean the antivirus world cup?? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are right Zimbo, my bad :oops: Just goes to show you can't always believe what you have read.

I think a lot of people here think that AOL is an Australian company too :D

7. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

Sorry for the delay in responding, the processes tab is showing svchost.exe is 48 in cpu 20,908 mem usage and iexplore.exe 44 cpu and 20,592 mem usage.

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

svchost works like an umbrella to other services. as such there is most likely more than one svchost process running on your machine. what you can do is this. still in the processes tab, you should see a pid column. write down the pid of the svchost process that you mentioned (note, the pid changes each time you reboot). then take your windows 2000 cd, go to the support folder, open the support.cab file and extract tlist.exe to a location on your hard disk. open a command prompt, cd to the location, and run the tool like this: tlist /t (for those who are interested, in xp it is tasklist /svc)
    find svchost with the pid you wrote down, and see what service is assigned to it.

as for the iexplore.exe process. were you browsing the internet (using internet explorer) at the time you looked at the processes?

9. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

No I didn't have the internet on?

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

rrright... well, i'm looking forward to hear about the rest of your troubleshooting efforts. you surely have been given a number of options.

11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Sorry ta hijack this thread but heres a screenie of my tasklist from command prompt... nothings really taking to much on the CPU but can anyone tell me what half this stuff is listed as SVCHOST? and which is needed? like to trim my XP down a bit if poss....(errrr how do i post images here??) :oops:

On the OP's subject i get my CPU at 100% quite often when task sqitching and it can take minutes to go down... mind u that happens with around 4 progs runing....

Could it be a memory problem (making system us cpu cache rather than ram?) or is it possibly and indication of the cpu failing?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't see any attachment - but then it's late and I'm south of a bottle of wine!

Won't be the CPU failing giving you 100% - you generaly get a freeze or blue-screen for that.

CPU *will* go to 100% at times - that is quite normal.

svchost is a general 'run things' utility. To see what it has run get hold of 'Process Explorer' from Sysinternals.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Svhost.exe can be a perfectly normal process and you will see more than one or two incidences of it in task manager. However, it has also been exploited many times by virus writers, check out this quick google link...

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=svhost.exe+virus&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

At this point I would try Zimbo's suggestion and download the free trial of NOD32, it will also give you a chance to check out NOD for yourself.

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've got NOD32 and AVG installed on my pc (yes i know they can conflict) What i ahve found is that with nod running in background my pc slows down at times (like when playing online games). It has also failed to find a virus that AVG detected!!! It was hidden in a CAB file and wasnt that much of a threat, but still it as there and undeteted by NOD!!

I use 2 virus checkers and trend online on (tho that only about once every 2 months) and i have 2 spyware/malware detection programs runnig. Until today i also had a firewall installed (zone alarm) but it just shows you can still get viruses, spyware and hacked no matter how protected u are.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Begs the question, well why do it then :rolleyes:

16. thunderbird

thunderbird Bit Poster

erm.....surely a good old disc cleanup and defrag might help

Certifications: COMPTIA A+
    WIP: Network +