Problem CPU Fan Fail or Low Speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ross, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ross

Ross Bit Poster

Hiya, I have a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard its now randomally started x4 bleeps and telling me CPU Fan Fail or Low Speed?

I've checked and its running over 3000 RPM, I tried a new fan just to make sure and its the same?

I have noticed the fan is plugged into the x3 pin PWR FAN on the Motherboard and not the x4 pin CPU FAN socket, so I swapped it over but its just dead - the fan does not spin?

So my x2 problems are:

1. Why has the Bios started warning me of a CPU Fan Fail or low speed, when its not?
    2. Why is the PWR FAN socket dead on the Motherboard?

Certifications: I.T NVQ Levels 1 and 2, ECDL, A+, SDI, Senior SDI, ITIL, NVQ Management L3
    WIP: CompTIA N+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My guess would be because it's expecting that the cpu fan is using the cpu fan header rather than the pwr header, as the cpu header isn't working any more (ie not reporting any current) it's reporting back that the fan is broken. Unfortunately it's either a case of living with the message or trying to get it repaired (and I can tell you that Asus are very VERY slow when it comes to repairs, my Rampage Extreme blew up in November, I still don't have it back yet).

As to why? it happens, things break, wear out and just simply give up the ghost.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA