Course Planning Guide

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ckjhalpin, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ckjhalpin

ckjhalpin New Member

Hi all,

I have been a IT administrator for a few years now and have MCP's in NT4 and Windows 2000. My company are willing to pay to update my qualifications to become a MCSE.

I need some advice on what course should I consider......

1. MCSE Windows 2003?

2. MCSE/MCDBA 2003?

3. MCSE Windows 2003 and CCNA?

Some of the courses offer additional modules like Exchange and Secuirty +?

Any advice would be great!

Thank you for reading!

Chris

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Chris, my advice would be to go for whichever technologies you are actively involved with at work.

There isn't much point in doing a CCNA unless you are able to get access to Cisco devices. Do you utilise Cisco kit at work?

Same goes for Exchange, does your company use Exchange and if they do, would you be allowed to monitor and configure it?

Database administration is not for everyone, it's a complex subject and can be very dry and boring for some folk.

Try and get certified in something that really interests you. Because I don't know you, I can only give vague answers to your questions. You might get better advice if you could give more details about what you do and what your aspirations are for the future.

Edit: It would be nice if you would pop into our new members forum and introduce yourself :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ckjhalpin

ckjhalpin New Member

I am just thinking about studying CCNA as well so my qualifications are more open and not limited to one area? Is that not a sensible way? We don't use it in our office.

I am really wanting to study so I can improve my qualifications, leave my job as the salary is not the best and go somewhere that is.

My company have 2 servers which run Windows Server 2003 SBS, We also have Exchange 2003 and all PC's run Windows XP. I look after the whole network but if I am in real trouble with do have a telephone support with an IT company. I want to stop using them and be able to support the company myself. Then hopefully work somewhere else for more money and more responsibility.

I see some jobs out there at the moment that look for MCSE/MCDBA and CCNA qualifications and the salary is very good.

I do like what I am doing at my current job (been there for nearly 8 years started as Office Junior) but would like more! :o)

I will send a message to the new members forum now.

Thank you

Chris