Course Completion certificates

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Just curious. I am almost through the Mike Meyers Network+ training videos on Udemy. I still have a good few weeks until the exam so I still have other material to study. However, at the end of the course, you are given a Course Completion certificate.

Is this something that I could use on LinkedIn or maybe a CV? Would it look a bit "amateurish" for example?

Thoughts would be appreciated as always,

Thanks,

Ron

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

You could mention it but I doubt it would hold much weight with an employer, having a examination certificate would though.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Jaron78

Thanks Ed, I am doing the exam in a few weeks, just wondered from a "professional" perspective.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont think its even worth mentioning in all honesty... Techincally you could get the certificate by doing allthe quizes leting the vids play n leavin ur pc and going out for the day to return to your certificate

5. Jaron78

That was my worry to be honest.
    Will just add the official N+ Cert should I pass the Exam.

6. KanduIT-Scott

KanduIT-Scott New Member

I would mention it if you have nothing else relevant in that area because I don't think it can hurt your profile, it is at least some acknowledgement from a third party.

It's an interesting question because at what point does a difference arise between companies certifying you? for example would a dinopc.co.uk certification be worth more than an aria.co.uk certification because one is more successful than the other? .. I suppose it is all to do with exam control and the creditability of those setting the exam, but something is better than nothing in my opinion.

Jaron78 likes this.
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Course attendance certification is, in my opinion just a waste of time, paper and effort, all it proves is you attended a course, it doesn't mention how well you did, how much information you to managed to keep in or how many days\hours you attended that training for.

It's not an exam certificate that certainly proves a certain level of knowledge and as such really has no bearing on a CV or LinkedIn profile, obviously just my opinion but having been in the industry for a while I would hope I have a certain level of experience when it comes to job hunting and what's good or not.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 likes this.