Council IT Job interview...oh err!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Feb 18, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Well after much "umming" and "arring" I took the plunge last week and applied for a County Council IT position. To my surprise I have been invited for an interview? I say surprise 'cos the advert stated 6 GCSEs at grade C and above, 2 x A Levels -I don't come close to this criteria!

Anyway, the interview is next week and I have been informed in writing that there will be a "Telephone Test" and a "Technical Test" during the interview. Can anybody shed any light on these "tests"? And what I should expect.

At ITNET I had to do a Technical Test which comprised of questions such as "what do you use Tracert for", what does DHCP mean" and then others on MS Outlook. From my understanding I think this council uses Netware and GroupWise of which I have experience with...They know that I am on my way to getting my MCSE and CCNA. I also emphasised the fact that I am with NITLC etc...

Any advice would great!

Cheers chaps

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck Sacha, fingers crossed for you mate. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sacha, the adverts you read are really the company's "wish list". Sure, they have a list of requirements that they can't live without and if you don't match those, they won't even give you a nod, but most of what you read about in newspaper or web adverts are what the company things would be the "ideal" candidate.

Naturally, that ideal candidate may or may not exist or may exist but not apply for the job they are offering. They'll interview the folks who apply that seem to be in the ball park and continue the culling process from there.

Good luck on your interview. Knock 'em dead. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Excellent news, Sacha - all the best of CF luck, m8 :thumbleft

Can't imagine the tests for a council vacancy being much more than a "no-brainer" to you, m8. If you haven't already, swing by AJ's Interview Preparation techniques thread .

Keep us posted, d_dude [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Best of luck m8

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Hi Sacha,

I'm currently working for a local council in Scotland in the schools IT support group (about three months now).
    The technical test I had was to assemble a PC (really!), plug it into the network and write down the mac and ip addresses.
    All they really wanted to check was that I knew one end of a pc from another and could stick it onto a network.

Good luck dude

Cheers

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings EMacd and welcome. Glad you found the place. If you wouldn't mind, pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and how we can be of assistance. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for all ur support chaps! Fingers crossed etc...

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...