Could this woman get a job in your office?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jun 25, 2009.

1. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Ah. That's cool then. Though a belly button piercing is cute on some cases.

When I am about in the City, I find the whole female outfit there, pretty darn charming! Though you never see any of them using it and also that (the above girl) type of hair and piercings.
    I think its a social thing, which makes the people who adopt those styles go for more "liberal" or different types of jobs that standing out is actually a sign of your "I am who I am" sort of attitude.

I recall the case of that woman who sued a hairdresser/beauty parlour owner because she was wearing a burkha for interview and when she was not selected she did a cry-baby act to say it was because she was a muslim.
    Where in fact it was because she could not wear that sort of outfit in an environment where everyone is heavily pierced, tattoed and with strange hairstyles which was vital and the trademark of that specific workplace.

Its funny though, when I go around Camden Town and I see all the people there working I think to myself how will they get a job in other environments...

:rolleyes:

PS: Can I receive the "Fvck I thought you were a chick!" award now ? lol
    Only after realising there could be another picture in the profile, is that I went to click on yours and see your a dude. lol
    OMG I want to dig myself a hole now. :(

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Lol. Oh gods, I nearly died laughing!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, I don't care how you look as long as you can do the job. Fat, skinny, ugly, pierced, tattooed, fanged, dreadlocked, shaggy, shaven, even mulleted :twisted: - doesn't matter to me.

Although I've had fangs (who here hasn't seen them?), I never wore them around the office place. Didn't feel the need to.

Around here, we wear anything from long-sleeved shirts or polos with khakis to t-shirts and jeans or shorts - most often leaning towards the latter. Today, I'm in a Boson polo and jeans. Yesterday I was in a Preds T-shirt and shorts.

That said, I always interview in a suit, because until someone has SEEN my work, I need every advantage I can get. People DO, unfortunately, initially make opinions of you based on first impressions in the absence of any other data to go on. AFTER I get the job, then appearance doesn't matter as much... though I still abide by the office dress policy, if any.

So... do appearances matter? Yes... and no.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

fangs? like the things you wear to dress up as dracula? or am i missing something?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im feel the same in a way to some degree, but the sad fact is I get a lot more respect certainly with senior management thanks to shorter hair (which I must admit is less of a pain to wash), and being dressed in a suit as opposed to combats and a teeshirt.

So I basically live 2 lives when it comes to what im wearing lol

Re the OP, she could work in our office, if she did a good job, got on with everyone and made good tea, you need to make good tea to get anywhere in life :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ haha i had to get my hair cut short too.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Talk about change... :cry:

Unemployed
    [​IMG]

Working
    [​IMG]

The insanity is still there but... not the hair. :cry:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As Dracula, no. As a modern-day vampire, yes. 8)

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. cruzader

cruzader Bit Poster

she would fit right in at our office, only thing that would make her stick out would be that its currently all male.
    the dresscode here is dont come naked basicly, never gotten any negative feedback and my typical workoutfit consist of a cs/gamer themed hoodie and a pair of the beloved pants with 10-12pockets for tools/screws/etc or a ac/dc t-shirt and shorts.
    we are a fairly small department of 4 techs for a school of 700ish students and oldest in the "team" is 26 so i suppose it would look/be slightly diffrent around here with a older boss :dry

the office looks slightly like a bachleorpad tho :biggrin
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]