corrupt Config/System and OEM XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fanatical, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

fanatical,

Question:
    1. Which make and model is the laptop?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  2. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

I hear that, most it admins i know (inc me) have a couple of disc packs containing all versions of things like windows, office, drivers for the network (sadly i have every driver for every machine ive ever been on since some are not available any more)

Recovery console is good, the other thing you need to think about is if you have data you wish to recover, you could try installing another os onto a separate partition, dual booting and then backing up the data from the now secondary partition with the fubar o/s on it?

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Without trying to sound bold, I exactly understand and already know what you're saying. The manufaturer OEM is only required if you wish to restore the system to its factory settings as sold. This does not mean that you cannot replace the OS. Back in 2001 I had an HP system that had its own OEM OS for Millenium Edition. I replaced it with OEM XP without activation issues, and in keeping with the OEM license I'd swapped out the graphics card for a new one after testing the default configuration with XP.

So, although I cannot claim this to be true for every system on earth, based on my own experiences and that of others in my situation, in addition to XP's flexible plug 'n' play for a multitude of devices, it is as simple as "just buy an OEM XP."

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. Mathematix

Cool.
    Yep, OSs do work fine before the registry is corrupted. :blink
    Okay. But there is so much scope to what a 'corrupt registry' could precisely mean. It could be anything from one key to it being entirely unrecoverable forcing a reinstall.

Until the nature of the damage is known one can't say either way if it's likely or not.
    That sounds perfectly sensible to me.

5. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

sorry i forgot that you can tell if an OS is trashed through the power of your mind....:rolleyes:

Someone somewhere mentioned a flavour in linux/unix that runs from a CD (so no need to boot to anything first) so perhaps that may be the easiest way to get the data (mostly pictures) off the drive and then just use the recovery CD he's got (at least i hope he's got!) to restore the computer. It's an HP laptop, no idea what model as I was trying to sound out ideas for fixes that I hadn't already thought of. (ie using the CD or trying to use the recovery console).

I;m just going to check myself here to make sure I'm in possesion of all the facts. When I "restore" the laptop from the restore disk this will basicaly reset the machines to its factory state therefore losing all data not on the amchine when it was shipped out.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For the Linux route the phrase you are looking for is 'Live CD'.

This essentialy boots from the CD without touching the hard drive.

Ubuntu is probably the easiest to work with.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

coolio, I think I still have a copy of the one I burnt so will use that and transfer the files that way...

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Any tech worth $0.02 knows how to download drivers off the Intarw3b, throw them on a USB key, and install them. :rolleyes:

Uh... yes it is. An OEM XP comes with an activation key, does it not? Of course it does.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Mathematix

<mystical ghoolie noises with waving hands in opposing circular motions>

Kay kwai yongo zoray corage - BAH!

Your laptop now... WORKS!

</mystical ghoolie noises with waving hands in opposing circular motions>

10. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

if you use the ms press books that free xp evaluation cd will work for the recovery console as it is esentially a xp install cd just without a full licence as said earlier

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  11. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

you can get adabters from laptop ide to desktop ide's on ebay or from laptop hard drive to usb they are not too expensive either.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. I've got a Coolmax multifunction drive-to-USB adapter that works wonders! It works for 3.5" IDE, 2.5" laptop IDE, and SATA drives. Highly recommended!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So you would use the recovery console then? Fantastic! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Mathematix

Only if the circumstances warrant the use of recovery console. If a live server were in the state of this laptop I would first have a backup server and have that one take over whilst the current one gets a fresh install.

People will have to put up with the sort spell of inconvenience! I'll never have to do that anyway, I'm a programmer in the games industry! :D

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, so you would replicate all your servers to another server so you can take your time rebuilding server that won’t boot? You must have a massive IT budget. :biggrin

People put up with inconvenience? If I ask a user to reboot I always get “WHAT? Now? I’m in the middle of a very important email, cant this wait?” I dread to think what would happen if the server was offline for a few hours.

Getting back to the original post I think most members are trying to encourage some troubleshooting before formatting the HD and starting over. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Mathematix

If the situation is unavoidable, what other option do you have? It's nonsense to repeatedly apply techniques that won't work. I was also implying 'backup', not duplicate, of course.

It's for the greater good, dude! Are you saying you would attempt to maintain an unstable system because of the few wingers? ROFL!

I agree, but 'troubleshooting' of the kind of trying useless steps teaches one nothing.

17. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BosonMichael,

The OP mentioned "I have a friend at work who has a laptop with an OEM version of XP on it." So I reasonably assumed that the laptop belonged to the company. Therefore, I further assumed that the company may have already paid for the MS OS license. Since the MS OS license has already been paid for, "simply buying another OEM OS" would be an added cost. Since the additional OEM OS purchase was not a "value added" increase of assets, it would have to be accounted for as a "asset maintenance" accounting factor which is both complicated and actually accountingly an asset reducer. For example, car maintenance. If the engine goes out in the car and need to replace the engine to make the car operational again, then the payment for the new engine doesn't add value to the car but instead, permits the car to maintain it's current fair market value. Further, if a license was obtained previously, then "buy an OEM XP" as advice would cause an inaccuracy of license accountability.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oopsee - sense a minor flame here. Chill pill ?:tune

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't you wish you still had those super powers? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Mathematix,

Sounds like your experience with "OEM edition" was relatively positive. However, the OP was talking about a laptop. How do you propose that a laptop owner is going to comply with the "OEM license?" From what I know of laptops, they're not that upgradable like in your case (pun intended) it's video card.