Problem Correct procedure: Ghost and Sysrep on a domain machine.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers for replies lads.

Right, I’ll make sure that the answer file contains an un-encrypted password. Is this done by editing the relevant part of the answer file to a *?

After I syspreped the machine and it booted to the mini setup, after the image was taken, it ended up in a loop and thus it was unable to boot. So in essence I had a machine that was now not useable because of this issue with sysprep. So, in case a similar issue occurs again I was going to image the machine (before sysprep) so if it went belly up again I could just re-image the same machine with the non-sysrep’ed image. Any possible problems with SIDs, etc when deploying an exact image (no sysprep) to the master machine?

Cheers

:D

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Technically isn't it the same as for example restoring full system backup using windows tools? I am sure having two machines with the same SID on the network is not supported, so you should restore it to the same box. but if the image gets corrupted it's all over again:) It could be different boxes (guessing really) just don't have them on simultaneously.

3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cool Nyx, it would be mainly for backup in case the sysrep'ed version went tits up, then I could just image the machine with it's own image with out sysprep (if that makes sense!). An exact image of the same machine in case of problems, in other words. I dunno mate, I just don't trust sysrep, and I can't afford for another machine to be stuck in that pre-setup loop of death without some sort of backup!

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Microsoft have stopped distributing NewSID due to their investigations proving that it didn't cause issues (generally speaking).

Sysprep does work very well, what it doesn't usually like is domain membership (SCCM requires that any captured images are disjoined from the domain before imaging). You may want to see what happens if you disjoin the machine from the domain before syspreping it.

Also are you using ghost or creating WIM files for these machines? Have you investigated WDS\MDT for a capture mechanism?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi Simon,

I'm using Ghost with a bootable disk. I'm going to take an image of the machine (before sysrep) so if this happens again I can then just deploy this image to the same machine and try sysrep again. As long as there is no issues with SID's when deploying an exact image on to the same machine....Can't see it being an issue what with having the same name, domain membership, etc.

I'll take the machine off the domain and into a workgroup before sysreping this time.

I've not looked into the other imaging methods mentioned. Sysrep has worked for me in the past, this is the first issue I've had with it after countless images have been taken on other machines.