Copyright...part two :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Shizzle, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

Part one http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=359612&posted=1#post359612

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your content submissions. However, by posting User Content to public areas of the Website, you warrant and represent that you have the right to grant to , and you hereby grant to , a non-exclusive, irrevocable, sublicensable, perpetual, fully paid-up license to copy, reproduce, use, perform, display, adapt, modify, distribute, and create derivative works from, such User Submissions.

Thsi would mean that you could not got after them micheal as far as i can read. You can argue the sentence above with a solicitor but posting on a site such as the one above you submit yourself to those conditions which, unfortunately, include the use of your work if you choose to post any of it.

If, however, you choose not to post anything that they can make money off then you have nothing to worry about but that sentence above means you agree to let them do anything they want with it. I would love to see this go to court just to see the end. You own the work but are granting them a license to do whatever they want including derivative works which could include you work. I guess the moral of the story is dont post anything that you do not want them to sell.

I dont think you were coming down on me Micheal. Are you a solicitor as well? (lawyer in the US)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would question whether that provision would stand up in court. In any case, I never said I'd shred them in court... there are other ways to shred them. Fortunately, no forum I've been a part of has sought to do that, because they enjoy me posting, and I enjoy helping their forum out. Nobody wants to damage that relationship, because it works just fine.

No, but I assisted one in a previous job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Guys, I actually have not one, but TWO solicitors working for me at the moment, do you want me to slip it into the conversation next time I speak to them? and see what they say? :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Surely that would depend on whether they are infact copyright lawyers or not, simply because it's something relating to law doesn't mean that a solicitor may know or understand a particular nuance of said law.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. BosonMichael

Not really, no. There's no reason to disturb the hornets' nest when nobody is attempting to profit by reselling someone else's posts. All it would take is for one solicitor to say that it would be OK for ideas to start going in someone's head. No reason to instigate conflict where none currently exists.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Was more a tongue in cheek comment than a serious one...

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

:eek:

only joking mate :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. BosonMichael

Well, posting helps generate traffic, which drives ad-based revenue. And last I checked, I did a whooooole lotta posts. :p

10. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

I just wanted to see the scenario played out is all. I dont want to be seen as starting a war. Just curious....

To me it was like this.

Lets say micheal posted some stuff he "owns",for the lack of a better word. By agreeing to the TOS when he joined he more or less signed away his right to seek compensation in case the site uses his postings to make money.

How can he go "after" them if he more or less gave them permission to do whatever they wanted to do with it? Regardless of his copyright he gave the site permission to do it as stated in terms when he signed up.

That was my question.....

I noticed the word, sell, is missing in that first paragraph and this would be a thing for lawyers to sort out.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. BosonMichael

At a bare minimum, I can stop posting, edit the posts that I am allowed to edit, and give negative press on other forums.

So what happens if I've said the same thing somewhere else? Who owns the content?

I don't think anybody wants to see this all played out except you, Shizz... I recommend that we shelve this discussion.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Here's my solicitor, highly recommend him. :biggrin

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA