Copying large files over wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by darrenecm, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Why don't you knock off the encryption and lock your access to the MAC of your laptop and see if you can transfer the file you want then? Just a thought....
    If i use WPA on my laptop and access point it will chuck me out every now and again regardless :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I had the same problem.....

my solution was changing channels.

Whilst the default channel for most wireless routers is set to be 11, and I understand that channel 1, 6, and 11 are Non-Overlapping channels (these won't interfere each other, at which these three channels are also used to create seamless roaming when u have more routers available to expand coverage area), I changed to channel 1 or 6, and they both worked without interruption...

also, talking about interference..... I found that although not significant, mobile phones signals and microwave cooker do have a minor affect to the stability of a wireless internet connection...

Nevertheless, it is also vital to inspect the hardware side of things, i.e. does your hard drive time you out after certain period of time (could be a motherboard or power setting), or any other "System Processes" that are running on your XP machines, etc...

Have you tried transferring using Adhoc mode on your NICs (not using the wireless router)? THis tells you whether it's to do with the router, or the NICs itself.

What about other protocols, perhaps try NetBEUI on both xp machines? Even if it seems nothing to do with this, it's still worth having a try whilst you are experimenting with things....

Who knows.... lots of things to try, but the only way to get the answer is to keep trying, until you find a solution for your scenario. Good luck!

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...