Copy all files from folders and subfolders, without folders being copied

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Apr 17, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So, a user has given me a usb stick full of files in hundreds of folders, they want the files all copied in to a new folder titled 'upload', and for this to only copy the files and not the folders or subfolders... can xcopy do this, or will this copy the folders also.

otherwise, does anyone know of a free gui utility out there that would do it?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

In windows 7 go to the root directory and do a search for *.*, that should list all the files included in the subfolders, the search is usually in the top right of explorer.
    From the list that is created click the top file (folders may be first), scroll right to the bottom of the list, hold down shift and click on the last file, all the files should then be highlighted, hold down control and press C, this will copy the files.
    Navigate to your "upload" folder, press control and V, this should paste them all in.

Windows XP you may need to use the search on the start menu.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

You should use robocopy I think its the /s switch but it could be /r. I would look.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

You could use PowerShell for this:

Code:
    foreach($File in (Get-ChildItem E:\ -Recurse | where {! $_.PsIsContainer})) {
    	Copy-Item $File.FullName ("C:\Upload\" + $File.Name)
    	}

The above assumes your flash drive is E:\ and you want to copy to C:\Upload\. It also can't handle files with the same name, and will throw an error if this happens...

- Gav

Sparky likes this.
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

This wouldn't be "Artistic" photography would it by any chance :P

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Was thinking the same thing! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. shadowwebs

haha nope not artistic photography, just thousands of reports in lots of folders... I have managed to copy them all over now, thanks for your tips.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Share what you did, somebody else may find the thread and what you did may help them. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. shadowwebs

I went for the search by "." and then just copied and pasted the results in to a new folder... on speaking to a friend of mine that enjoys coding in VB, he is going to knock together an application for doing these sort of things I believe.