Contract expiry

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jimmy_2k, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

Hi all

I wondered if I could ask some advice.

I have been working on fixed term contracts for a University for about 3 years now, unfortunately with the credit crunch I have been told that come October my contract will not be renewed. I have had 4 contracts with the Uni and I was originally employed as a IT assistant, then Helpdesk technician and currently I am a Server Analyst. However when I come to leave I will only have been doing this job a year. I have got myself a MCDST and MCP 290 in Server 2003 administration and I’m going for the 270 Windows XP Certification before I leave.

Problem is I am not sure where to start as I have only been doing the Server job for a year, I am concerned that I will have to go back into Desktop support (not that I mind it all that much) but the thought of taking a step back fills me with dread. I did apply for a couple of desktop support jobs with other Universities to see what I thought of them and didn't even get an interview. This University is one of the best paying employers in the area and I have decided that I am a single guy with no commitments so I might move to get myself a better job.

Suggestions appreciated.

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: 70-270, 70-291
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If like you say, you are happy to move, start looking for positions outwith yoru local area, in places you can see yourself moving.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP