Continue doing Network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by j1mgg, Jan 14, 2010.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am a currently studying for this exam and am at chapter 6 of 20 in the book so far. With the recent part about comptia wanting you to update every 3 years would i be better just missing this and studying my MCDST.

I find the network+ to be interesting but also alot of theory which i dont enjoy. The MCDST would be easier for myself due to working with XP for the past 2.5 years and i guess there would be bits i would pick up from it that would be also helpful and more relevant to my work.

I am working towards my MCSA so can see that the network+ would be useful but the MCDST is more recognised and would be easier.

What are other peoples opinions?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd switch. I would consider the fee for the Network+ as throwing money away in your circumstances.
    I'd advise getting your network+ knowledge up to scratch though, I found it very helpful for the 70-271.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm with Soundian on this one, unless CompTIA see the error of their ways I'd advise anyone to go straight for the MCDST at the moment.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Thatnks for the advice guys.

I will have a serious think about it over the weekend and maybe come back to do it after i have done the mcdst.

edit: confused myself with exam numbers

I was thinking about maybe doing it after the 70-270 as it would also bring my A+ back up, but if you are advising it helped for on of the MCDST exams would i just not be better bashing on with it?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would continue with the N+ it teaches you alot of skills that will give you a good grounding in Networking.

I understand why people are angry with CompTIA but they were all happy to recomend them a few months ago but now they are not I guess it depends why you were studying the N+ to gain knowledge or hold a cert for life?

Certifications: A few.
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You can study to learn the skills certainly; however, I wouldn't recommed taking the exam now with the high costs of the exams, unless your employer is paying.

One reason we were recommending them previously is because they were 'for life'.

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm with Rob on this one - after doing the Net+ exam - I would say that if you have started it then do it, not the necessarily the piece of paper at the end but for the knowledge that the content gives you.

Not everything in life is about getting what you want as quickly as you want, its about what you learn along the way - I believe this categorises IT qualifications exactly.

Would I be a better engineer if I had saved 6 months and not got my N+ and A+ and about £400 in exam fees - no! Whilst what they (Comptia) are doing is silly, I'm not going to miss out on an opportunity to learn to enhance my career just because "the piece of paper says no" in 3 years time. I'll still have my A+, N+ and any other cert on my CV long after they've expired.

Edit - I would take the exam simply as it actually forces you to try and retain the material. Unless your one of the few lucky ones who can casually read and remember intricate details every time, my not focusing on an exam my guess is that anyone would not completely take all of it in.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293