Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Pablo1888, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hi Everyone,

Got this email from a friend:

"Router set downstairs to default 192.168.1.1 (Mentor router..802.11g) DHCP addresses 10-20
    As of last night…connected to network…... signal "very good", 54mbs but NO connection to internet……could not ping the router either.

Both on the same channel and the wep key is both the same….infrastructure set.

With a lot of bother (Uninstalling and re-installing the wireless card) I can get the router to see the pc upstairs via DHCP but the signal keeps dropping..

When I ipconfig /all upstairs I can get the settings for the router…..

There is another network close by…..Mine is on channel 2 and that is on channel 9 …both are wep enabled. If I put it on channel 1 I can get connected but channel 2 gives me the strongest signal."

Basically he can get a connection to the internet for x amount of time and then it drops. I have told him to try and upgrade the firmware for the router, but he is having trouble finding the manufacturer's site.

This is all the info I have at the moment. So was wondering if any of you wireless gurus out there had any more ideas.

Cheers

Paul

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My suggestion would be to try removing all encryption, and try from there. Adding it back on one step at a time. :blink

3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

have to say mate i've now went back to wired because with or without encryption, my wireless connection would drop after a time, and then give me server not found messages till i re-booted.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Uninstalling everything and starting from the beginning again. Also updating the router's firmware fixed it.

Happy household once again.[​IMG]

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pablo,

Glad to hear that you sorted it after a firmware upgrade.

There have been many discussions about wireless set-up. It appears that it hasn't turned full circle with regards to encryption..
    With WPA (the most secure) or WEP a lot of set-up's drop connections after x amount of time. Some short, some acceptable,

Some people say if you lock your access point to the MAC address of your computer (bar all others), don't broadcast your SSID (32 digits and strong) and change the Username and Password of the gateway (some will only allow you to change the password) you have a good degree of protection.
    If you are viewing private data (such as bank, or logging on somewhere) SSL will encrypt between your computer and the host.

Hope this helps.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Thanks for that piece of info Boyce. :thumbleft

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Glad to be of help :thumbleft