Confused over which path to take

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by doodlebug, Dec 21, 2005.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Hi All, great forum.

I'm looking to move from telecoms sales into IT but getting confused over which path / exams to take. I'm planning on doing self study as didn't really trust the salesman from the training companies I spoke to (being in sales I know that most will say anything to get the deal !)

I'm teaching myself Java at the moment and whilst I think I could scrape through the cert exam, I don't think I find it interesting enough to spend the time to become an expert. So if I rule out programming (and web design), what are the main routes and what are the best exams to go for. Any advice on career prospects / salaries etc for the different routes would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a bit general, but want to make the right choice and this seems to be one of the few places where you can get honest advice.

Thanks

WIP: A+, CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think I know what the guys (and girls) here will say:
    A+, N+, then possibly MCSE.
    Self study.

That is, you've ruled out programming and web design, which really means some kind of hardware/networking course (or databases, although they can get dangerously close to programming). You don't really mention which direction you want to go in, just what you don't want to do.

That would suggest that you need to do a bit of research on the jobs that are out there and see if they appeal to you. Then you'll have an idea of what you want to go for.

Don't forget though, self study requires quite a lot of discipline and motivation.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there

I am in telesales at the moment, and just as Jonny said, A+, N+ seem to be the de facto exams to go for as a vendor-neutral start in this fun little game.

I'm going down the Cisco networking route after that (CCNA, CCNP), as that was what yielded most interest for me (I keep on threatening to break down the network at my workplace). All websites, such as www.comptia.org, will have detailed pages about the various Certs they have to offer. Try typing them in as keywords in a job engine such as www.monster.co.uk to see what kind of entry level jobs these certifications yield. The 'entry level' is the most important emphasis I can make here; without experience in the industry, as with anywhere, be prepared to 'make the tea and mop the floor'.

Alternatively, have you considered IT sales?

Any route you choose, good luck!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Hi mate,

I'm in a similar position, trying to get that break into IT, my logic is to get almost any job at first (except sales! Dirty word to me), and once in the field, have a look from there. It's likely to be a lot easier getting a job in an area that you like, when working in the field, than trying to find one from the outside.

Just my view. We should pool resources/ideas??? Perhaps all noobs on here should? Just a thought... :blink

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  5. OVERLORD

OVERLORD New Member

24/1/2005

Hi Doodlebug - read yr post it currently mirrors my exacy conundrum-absolutely read my mind. I like DBs but dont think I could program. Think its gonna be Networks 4 me.

How r things 4 u at mo ? Made a decision?? I am still getting used to this site!

Overlord

Certifications: NONE
    WIP: MCSA
  6. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Hi Overlord

I'm self studying for the CompTia A+ which most people advised was a good place to start. I'm using the Myers book which I'm half way through, I think I'll be able to take a shot at the exams in approx 6 weeks.

I'd recommend it as a starting point, it's giving me some good basic knowledge but also an insight into other areas ie networking, etc. I'll definitely be in a better position to make my next decision after the A+. If it doesn't work out all I've wasted is £25 on the Myers book and some time.

My plan after that is to go down the Cisco route, CCNA then not sure. I did a few job searches and there seems to be plenty of demand for cisco and in varying roles.

Good luck

WIP: A+, CCNA