Confrig-register on 3524

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by morph, Feb 13, 2010.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Hi Guys
    just started ramping up again to take ccna - anyway i'm right at the start and i have a couple of basic questions. First of - i've got a 3524 switch which i wanted to remove the config of and revert to default settings - i tried changing the config reg but for some reason when i go into global config mode i cant then change config reg is this somthing i have to do in rommon mode ? Ideally i'd like to get the switch back to 'initial setup.

Also somthing else is puzzling me - i asked one of the guys at work this and he got a bit pissed of and didnt really help. I can set up the switch with a telnet login etc.. and say give vlan 1 an ip address - and then telnet to it. But i'm sure our switches at work have a managment vlan that none of the ports are in (i may need to re-check that) - i'm just wondering how that works ? I may be totally missing the point here but am i wrong in thinking the management vlan can be a virtual vlan with no physical port?

**Also as i'm starting to ramp up again to start looking at taking exams - i'm determined this time to really have a deep understanding of all the concepts - so i apologise now for some dumb questions coming up in the next few weeks!**

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. morph

morph Byte Poster

Actually having looked at my current confg-reg its set to :

Configuration register is 0xF

finding other people with a similar problem to me...

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  3. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Hi morph,

Regarding your 3524 switch, if you need to reset to default just use:

wr erase
    del flash:vlan.dat

...and reload the switch.

Above is of course only useful if you have cli access. If the problem is password recovery check here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

0xF is correct for a normal boot.

Depending on how things are set up there is no problem connecting to a management vlan on a switch even if there are no ports on the switch for that vlan. The management vlan will be present throughout the network (carried on all the trunks) and so the switch can be reached.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE