Configuring BB ADSL routers for VPN

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by philbenson, Nov 25, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

OK, I have a Netgear DG834GT broadband router which is now configured with a fixed IP address from my ISP.

With a fixed IP, I can set up VPN, can I not? I have a PC which dual boots into either Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP Pro.

In Server 2003 mode, the NIC is configured with a static internal IP of 192.168.0.2 (The LAN side of my Netgear router is configured as 192.168.0.1 with a DHCP scope of 192.168.0.10 through 20.

In XP Pro mode, the NIC is configured from the routers DHCP server.

The question is, how do I set up VPN using the router? The router has the public IP address from my ISP so I assume I cannot configure the NIC with the same address since it is a separate host. Do I have to add a static route in the routing table on the router to forward packets from the Internet to the NIC on my PC?

Obviously if I connect to the internet usinq my ADSL modem, which connects directly to the PC, then my PC will automatically pick up my public IP address.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

In your router settings go to Firewall Rules.

Add the VPN service from the drop down menu and enter the rest of the details.

Neall

WIP: A+
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

many thanks for that, works fine!

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)