Computrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Joecoral, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Spoke to a man on the phone today regarding a an "Employment Programme" that they offer. Whilst I have no intention of following it up (self study all the way!), it certainly seems to be an interesting premise. It seems mostly virtual learning in simulated environments on your home PC, identical to what you would see were you actually working for a company and learn by carrying out tasks a system engineer etc would normally do.

Before you embark on a course they contact at least 25 employers in your area, and unless 5 of them get back guaranteeing you a job at the end of the course, you dont proceed with the training. If 5 do, and once the training is over, if you dont get a job after it you dont pay anything and get to keep the qualifications.

I allowed him to contact the employers on my behalf just to see whether 5 would, and who they would be, although when they ring back on monday I will decline the offer.

I'm a little confused to how this works, as I know what the general opinion on training providers is and it seems extremely hard to believe they can guarantee a job at the end or your money back.
    Anyone got any experience / opinions on the matter?

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I personally don't believe in these companies who send salesmen to your house. To be honest they probably have a lot of get out clauses like have they guaranteed a minimum salary and full time employment?

I had a guy come to my house years ago and tried to sell me a packaged of A+, Network+ and MCSE in 1 year. Now even though that is bordering on impossible to do what is the point as you wouldn't take any of it in and learn from it so you would be left with these certs and very little knowledge. I think you need to take your time learning and as they say learn to walk before you run (admittedly I'm taking a little to long to complete my MCSA as I can't be bothered at the mo :rolleyes:).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no intention of accepting this course, it just seemed an interesting premise.
    They also promised ECDL, A+, N+ and MCSE within 6-8 months from studying 8-12 hours a week, which from what I gather is completely ridiculous.
    I was just curious as to whether anyone had done this and had actually got the guaranteed job

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I find it hard to believe that any company would agree to hire someone several months from now, not knowing how many IT employees they'd have at that time or how the economy will be at that time. To be honest, I don't think I'd even want to work for a company that is THAT irresponsible with their hiring decisions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Just a touch, to give you an indication I plan on finishing my MCDST off in the next 6 - 8 weeks and at the rate I am working (allowing 3 - 4 months per exam) I am looking at finishing my MCSE about Jan 2011 :eek:

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012